Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new car

My new car

Thanks for the advice on collector car insurance. I went with Gundy because they have no mileage limitation.
    Here's a picture of the car. It's only 57 years old, just getting broken in. It's a nice driver with new paint & new interior.
    Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

You suck.

My "A" is still at the house in NJ. Still under an interminable restoration. My garage in NC will be 30 x 35 or so... plenty of room to restore a car or two in my old age.

Good luck with it. I'm glad a few are still stock.

A few more details, please.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Can't you afford a new car?
    Kurt

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Wow, that is really clean!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Sharp, very sharp

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

You're going to haul lumber in THAT?

I had a '53 Chevy when I was in high school (1964) think I gave 75 bucks for it. 'course I was pumpin' gas for a buck an hour. Then I upgraded to a '50
    Olds 88. Older car but the V-8 with Hydromatic tranny ran like a scalded dog!!! Wish I had either one now.
    Last edited by Roger Newby; 09-01-2010 at 7:35 PM.

Roger,

I paid $125 for '56 Chevy 2-door sedan in '65 and I was making $2.35/hour roughnecking on oil rigs morning tour and going to HS days.

Nice '53!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is just like the first car I remember my Grandmother driving, by the time I was old enough to drive she had traded it in on a '64 Chevelle. Very nice ride. Straight 6 (Blue Flame) and 3 on the tree, is your the same or a powerglide?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;1503545]Roger,

.....and I was making $2.35/hour roughnecking on oil rigs morning tour...

Ken, you were in tall cotton. I was a shavetail lieutenant in the USAF in '65 making $2.30/hour. As an engineer before going in the AF, I was making the exorbitant sum of $3.60/hour. Thought I had millions..........
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

That's really a lovely ride, Dennis! Congrats.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joe
    This has the Blue Flame 6 in it with a Powerglide. I think the Blue Flame 6 was one of the best engines they ever made, as simple to work on as any car I've ever worked on.
    My first car was a 54 Chevy that I paid $100 for. It had no radio or heater, I bought both at a junkyard & installed them, rebuilt the engine in the backyard & ran it for a while. I was working in a gas station part time & eventually bought the gas station & began a long string of cars, 54 Chevy, 56 Chevy, 57 Chevy, 51 Pontiac (paid $15 for it from a customer),Studebaker(don't remember the year).
    One day a customer asked me if I wanted to buy his 54 Olds as he was getting a new car. I told him no thanks. He came in a couple of weeks later & said his new car was coming in the next day & what could I offer him for it? I told him I'd offer him $100 but that the car was worth a lot more & he should sell it himself thru the classifieds. He said, no I'll take the $100, I didn't need a car but this was in beautiful shape so I bought it. Ran it for a few months & someone came in the gas station & offered me $200 , that was big money for me in those days (about 1964) & I sold the car. I still remember driving home from work one night about 10 PM in the car & I ran out of gas! Here I owned a gas station & ran out of gas, not my most brilliant move.

Yes, that blue flame was a great engine, and you could almost stand up next to it in the engine compartment to change the spark plugs. The Powerglide was also durable, made them well into the '70s. You can still buy new ones.

If you ever decide on a cross-country drive stop by and give me a ride in it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Nice! I love older cars. You know, when cars were actually built out of metal. My father-in-law owns a hotrod shop that I love to go in and see what he's working on from time to time. His work is often in magazines. He builts em right. Puts them back to factory look or restomods them. Last time I was there he had a 62' vette with a widened rear end, modern but still vintage looking interior, and an engine from a modern Corvette in it. When that thing fired up it was like the devil breaking up through the earth.

A pleasant,yes pleasant, experience at the NJ Motor Vehicle Dept

This morning I went to register the car, I got there about 2 minutes before opening & there was a line of about 50 people, I thought about coming back another time but decided to go in. Turns out about 45 of the 50 people were there for driver's license renewals & I was out of there in 20 minutes with my new plates. I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I had a pleasant experience with some very nice & helpful people at the NJDVM!
    Dennis