Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I Need a Jointer?

Hi all, (again)

I heard the name Rigid dropped and was wondering about its quality? I found at Home Depot that seem to be in my price range along with having the infeed and outfeed tables adjustable. Is rigid a quality name or am I going even lower in the rank of tools?

Thanks
    Josh

PS (This weekend I'll get you guys the pictures.)

Josh, there are a number of folks around here with any number of Ridgid tools. I've seen pretty good opinions of the Ridgid jointers. In the grand scheme of things, jointers are pretty straightforward and uncomplicated machines. I believe most every jointer sold today will have adjustable infeed/outfeed tables, as that's really the only way to adjust for a flat final product. Speaking of flat, in a jointer, you want to check the in/out-feed tables for flatness and make sure the fence is at 90*deg. to the tables. That will be pretty much global requirements to ALL jointers. You'll find differences in width size, horsepower, in/out-feed table lengths, the way the fence attaches to the unit, ets... Without getting too complex about it, if your space and budget are limited, the 6" Ridgid should do you well. The nice thing about that unit is, if you have problems "out of the box" with it, you just drive right back on over to HD! The above are just my opinions and general observations, but given the limitations you need to stay within, I think you'd be OK with it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Welcome, I agree that a jointer & planer are essential in a shop. Always buy the very best machine that you can possibly afford, espically now with all the China motors out there. I'm up here in Shell Lake WI, Washburn Co. Stop in if you're ever in the great white north.

Welcome to the creek. I think the jointer question is best answered by assessing how much woodworking you plan to do. If you will use it at least occassionaly for a few years, it will be well worth your money and they hold their value extremely well. On that note, I spent a few months running around wasting my time trying to find a used jointer in the paper or at an auction. Never managed to catch one in the paper and bought a new RIDGID cheaper than most the comparable 6" models sell for used at auctions. I paid $265 plus tax. If you go to HD, make sure to get one of their 10% off coupons. That'll knock the price down to $315, and if you can wait for a rebate or sale, that could happen here just before chrismas (no guarantee on the sale). I haven't looked at the Craftsman but I like my RIDGID just fine and it is $50 cheaper. If you decide on the Craftsman, be sure to join the "Craftsman Club" for a 10% discount. I hear all kinds of good things about the value of Grizzly machines. Might be important to note that the resale may be highest for a Grizzly, then RiDGID, then Craftsman. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of them.

Josh,

Welcome to the Creek. I am also relatively new here and have found the advise I've gotten priceless. I'm also in Madison WI (there seem to be a lot of Cheeseheads popping up on the board lately) and am trying to learn woodworking and outfit a shop on a limited budget. If you want to give a jionter a test run give me a holler and I'll let you test drive mine. Maybe we can take a drive out to Spring Green to meet John and he can clue us into his hardwood suppliers. The biggest reason I'm going to buy a planer soon is because I'm tired of paying ridiculous prices for finished lumber and would like to find try some new varieties which seem to be available only in rough sawn form.

Take care,

Peter Gavin

Hi all,

Question about the Grizzly jointer. The maximum width that the 6" models offer is 6" (duh!). But the Ridigid offers 6 1/8". I read that it is important to consider this because if you buy 6" stock that is maybe an 1/8 over, it won't fit. Is that true? Is this a valid concern?

Thanks
    Josh

Josh,

Most 6" stock is actually only 5 1/2 inches, so unless you are cutting larger stock to 6" it shouldn't really matter. I noticed in your list that you didn't have a compound mitre saw. That is probably the most used tool in my shop as it prevents constantly changing the table saw from rip to cross cut. I've never had a radial arm saw or a band saw so others may consider those to take the place of the mitre saw.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't think I need a miter right now because I have been able to get by with the radial and band saw (like you said). I have decided that I will get a Ridgid jointer because from what I have read, it is a quality tool and is the right size and price for what I need. Now I am going to see if any sales at the Home Depots in town will get me a better deal. Thanks all for the help!

Thanks
    Josh

Josh. I'm going to post a slightly dissenting opinion.
    There are two machines, that woodworkers buy initially, and then want to get a larger one very soon thereafter. The first is a jointer, and the second is a bandsaw.
    A larger jointer does give you more capacity for initial face planing, but they also give you a longer table length. This is important when you begin to work with longer boards. The weight of the board can be difficult to control once it gets too far past the end of the outfeed table.
    It may seem that Bob Smalser has some unique requirements for wanting a longer jointer due to boat building, but a 2"x12"x 8' long board made of oak, maple or in my case jatoba, can be very heavy and require extra table length or additional outfeed tables to control properly.
    My advice; If you think that woodworking may become a larger part of your life buy the biggest jointer (read as longest) that you can afford. I've never heard someone comment, that they would really like a smaller jointer or bandsaw My .02 on the subject fwiw

Josh, welcome to Saw Mill Creek and I concur that YES you need a jointer. By the way, I don't have one but I do hope to purchase an 8" jointer early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gavin
    Josh,

Welcome to the Creek. I am also relatively new here and have found the advise I've gotten priceless. I'm also in Madison WI (there seem to be a lot of Cheeseheads popping up on the board lately) and am trying to learn woodworking and outfit a shop on a limited budget. If you want to give a jionter a test run give me a holler and I'll let you test drive mine. Maybe we can take a drive out to Spring Green to meet John and he can clue us into his hardwood suppliers. The biggest reason I'm going to buy a planer soon is because I'm tired of paying ridiculous prices for finished lumber and would like to find try some new varieties which seem to be available only in rough sawn form.

Take care,

Peter Gavin
    Peter, Josh...You guys are most welcome to take a run out to my shop. It's really not THAT far and a nice drive, to boot. In the grand scheme of things, I'm a relative "newbie" myself, but am always willing to share what little knowledge I have and that would include introductions to lumber suppliers. Give me a yell and we'll make it happen!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!