Thread: Ideas needed for "NEW" shop tools

Ideas needed for "NEW" shop tools

I know I'm thinking about this WAY too soon but I cannot stand being without a shop.It's about to drive me crazy.,plus my wife thinks I talk about it too much.Anyway, when I do get to buy new tools I would like some advise on the brand. I'm not looking for the top of the line but something maybe in the middle.Tablesaw,Bandsaw,etc... I think I will stay with my Delta 46-460 lathe.I've been fond of my Ridgid tools in the past but they do not have a shop model Tablesaw anymore.I thought of going with some Jet tools.Any advise??????? I will not be building nothing big.Mostly small items such as Hope chests,birdfeeders. I think I will spend more time on my lathe.Also I thought of adding a dust collector.Pros and Cons on this??
    Donny

• Can't tell you much about other tools because I have a few Ridgid also including the old 3650 tablesaw. I do know they are suppose to put out a new cast iron top saw. I believe it is another hybrid without the granite and maybe a few other changes. I think they are due out in October. I think it is the R4512.

If you want the challenge of fixing up old tools Clist is your friend. Plently of cabinet saws can be had for around 500 but need work.

You can get bigger tools for the same price as new.

If anything, spend a few bucks more and buy quality.

Click on the link below, but be prepared to lose the next 2 hrs.

http://www.grizzly.com/home.aspx

C

I am one that recommends buying the tool and not the brand. I suggest coming to the board with a specific machine and budget in mind and you will get lots of advise. The best value for a specific level of quality varies from machine to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    Click on the link below, but be prepared to lose the next 2 hrs.

http://www.grizzly.com/home.aspx

C

i have few Grizzlys, and they are great tools. I love my g0691

Also I thought of adding a dust collector.Pros and Cons on this??
    All pros - no cons.

Were I to start all over again from scratch, I'd build my shop up in exactly this order:

- Wiring
    - Lights
    - DC

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am one that recommends buying the tool and not the brand. I suggest coming to the board with a specific machine and budget in mind and you will get lots of advise. The best value for a specific level of quality varies from machine to machine.

I'm with Van on this one! I buy what I feel is the best deal for my money, that also fits my needs, both current and future... case in point, I never thought I'd own a Ridgid power tool, until the R4511 table saw came around and HD blew them out at $299...more bang for the bug than I could've imagined, and will last me for a LONG time!

My next major tool... Grizzly Bandsaw, no doubt about it!

Being "brand loyal" just doesn't make sense these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Being "brand loyal" just doesn't make sense these days...
    This. (Or these, whatever.)

Ridgid sells a nice tablesaw for their price point, but I wouldn't own one of their lathes. Delta has a good midi lathe, but I wouldn't buy one of their mortisers, since there are better brands in the same price range. Almost all brands will have a few winners and a few duds in their product lines. Places like SMC can help you sort them out, one tool at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Were I to start all over again from scratch, I'd build my shop up in exactly this order:

- Wiring
    - Lights
    - DC
    I would too. I recently sold almost all of my power tools and am going neander for a while. But if/when I go the power tool route again, this is exactly how I would approach things.

As I work exclusively with hand tools, I am finding that what I like the most about it is the relatively low amounts of dust, and the ability to easily move tools around. I am beginning to think that my lack of enjoyment of power tools is more of an indictment of how I put my shop together than of power tools.

I think if you plan for good lighting and good dust control now, you will enjoy your new shop a lot more.

"I've been fond of my Ridgid...but they do not have a shop model Tablesaw anymore"

Check this out...

http://www.woodmagazine.com/blogs/wo...-half-of-2010/

Thr R4512 will replace the R4511.

At $500, it's really worth a look. It's a hybrid saw. It has an enclosed case, a cast iron top, and a riving knife. I've always liked that the Ridgid's feature integrated mobile stands.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-03-2010 at 8:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Van and Dave; shop tool, not brand. Most major labels make something good and something terrible. Rich hit the nail on the head; Electrical plant, lighting and DC are deceptively fundamental. Inadequacies here can cause re-dos and rearrangements like nothing else.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I missed the DC part of the OP, and agree that lighting and wiring are also among the first things to do and do right. They are not sexy or cool and they don't work wood but they are used quite a lot and are part of your daily health and safety while in the shop.

I agree with Van on this subject. My shop is literally a rainbow of different colors of tools. Each one was bought for a specific reason. Most received good reviews both on forums like SMC and magazines. All fit into my budget constraints. I tend to buy tools when I have an actual need rather than just filling up my shop. I also look for good bargains. As for used tools I have chosen not to go that route, but I have seen many success stories from people who do. I just wonder about all the unsuccessful used tool purchase stories we don't hear about.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I really like the warranty that goes along with the Ridgid products. I am considering the Jet product line too.
    Donny