Thread: Stanley #18 block plane gloat and question

Stanley #18 block plane gloat and question

I have recently aquired from my grandfather a plane he received from a friend of his to give to me. This kind old man is not into woodworking but had this block plane laying around therefore decided to give it to me. It is a beaut and really is in the best condition i've ever seen in a plane that is this old. But i am not real sure of the time period it might have been produced other than the fact it is one of the earlier model 18's due to the style of lever cap. Supposedly it is the style that is less sought after if you are using this plane, the other hinged type lever cap is supposedly a better design. But the earlier date may make this plane worth a bit more to collectors, i'm not sure really. I wouldn't mind using this plane as it is def a looker (IMO) but if it is worth more to a collector than a user I just assume sell it to get a better user plane. I'm really in need of a #7 LN bench plane but can't pull the whole cost off right now.

Anyways, I would love to know anything informative about this plane as well as what the potential value might be if I decided to sell it off, or is it worth selling off? Like I said I have no issues in fettling it a bit to turn into a user as it really is pretty.

100_1420.jpg 100_1419.jpg

100_1418.jpg 100_1417.jpg

100_1416.jpg

2. The forked lever cap is not all that rare, so its not particularly collectible. That being said, these make great users, so flatten the back of the iron and sharpen it up, it will serve you well.

My understanding is that the forked lever cap means it's an older design, but like above I don't think it has any particular collector value. I saw one like that for sale online today at sydnassloot.com going for $30 (thought it's not in as good of condition as yours).

I would tune it, and use it. I got No. 18 (the later lever cap) from a fellow Creeker and find it to be a really nice plane to use.

Blog Entries
    It looks to be a type 3 1894-1897.

The type 3 is the first type with the mouth adjusting "harp" and the last type before the little depressions were added called the handy grip.

These are fairly common, so they do not make the owners rich from collectors beating a path to the door.

Use it and enjoy it.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks fellas. I think it should make a great user and have already gone through the process of tuning it to use. The only reason I thought it could possibly have collector value as I saw one identical to it at the Tool Barn for $180, was a bit shocked when I asked to see it out of the case. And it was in worse condition than mine is. That's what perked my interest to post the question here. You really have to know your tools if you're over at the Tool Barn as I don't believe the guy that runs it does. It seems as though prices are sometimes opposite of what one would think they are, high priced items should be lower and low priced should be higher. On my way to a great antique block plane.

I do like the size of this plane in the hand, feels real nice.

Blog Entries
    I stopped at the local pawn shop today because there was a sale sign out front.
    I think they put new higher prices on most of the hand tools just so they could make people feel good they were getting a few bucks knocked off.

Sometimes I will try to bargain with dealers, but sometimes I will just wait for the time they want $100 for a clean Handy man #4 and are only asking $15 for a #2 with a bit of rust.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)