Thread: Just orderd the G0555 band saw

Talking Just orderd the G0555 band saw

Just got off the phone with Grizzly
    Now Im going to have to decide what blades to get
    Timberwolf blades seems to be the hot item! little pricey I think they have a deal if you buy 3 you get 1 free it should be around $60.00 to get the free one
    anyone have any other sug for some good buys on a good blade?

and what tpi and size blade do you use for resawing or sawing green bowl blanks
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Jim -

Congrtas on the new saw! When will it arrive?

Timberwolf blades are the way to go. Get mine from <a href="http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/">Suffolk Machinery</a>. Call and tell them what you want to do, blade length and saw, they will give you some good recommendations. Prices are good and the delivery is quick. You will get your blades before you get the saw.

½" 3 TPI works for resawing on my Jet 14" w/ riser.

Congrats!
    Ted

Congrats on the BS!! Please tell us how the assembly goes and take some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Just got off the phone with Grizzly
    Now Im going to have to decide what blades to get
    Timberwolf blades seems to be the hot item! little pricey I think they have a deal if you buy 3 you get 1 free it should be around $60.00 to get the free one
    anyone have any other sug for some good buys on a good blade?

and what tpi and size blade do you use for resawing or sawing green bowl blanks
    Jim
    Excellent choice on the G0555 Jim! You'll love it! (I hope you got the riser kit at the same time???)

As for blades, just call Timberwolf, tell them what types of sawing you want to do, and they'll set you right up. Just called them for the first time the other day and I didn't even need to know what length blade I needed -- the phone tech told me off the top of his head.

BTW, I ordered a 3/4" AS-S for resawing, plus a 3/8" for utility work and a 3/16" for scrolly stuff. (Can't remember offhand what types the second and third blades are.) To decide which narrow blade I needed, the tech asked me how tight a turn I wanted to be able to cut, but instead of asking what radius I was looking for, he just asked whether I wanted to be able to cut more like around a quarter, a nickle, a dime, or something larger or smaller. Made it really easy, 'cuz I didn't have to try to think in little numbers.

BTW, we haven't seen any pics of your shop lately. Any updates to report?
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

oops!!!!!
    Tom yes I did order the riser kit to go with it!
    Ted I think they said around a week?
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 12-11-2004 at 2:37 PM.

Jim,

Congrats! The 108" TW blades fit perfectly. I too have the 1/2" 3TPI blade for resawing and it works great. Consider adding an Iturra spring ($15) and wheel brush ($6) as you assemble the saw. They can always be added later too. The Griz spring is pretty whimpy and I strongly recommend the Iturra replacement. I used the 3/4" OD by 3/8" ID by 3" long spring and the part number is 10021J.

If you don't have one of their catalogs get one. It is full of technical information. You can call them toll free at 888-722-7078.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

You will love the saw!

The Timberwolf blades cost 3 times as much but last ten times as long, so are really the cheap blades!

My selection for the G0555 is 1/2 inch with few teeth for resaw - works fine, and there were some comments about 3/4 inch being a little much for the 14 inch bandsaws. I know 3/4 is in specs, but chose to go with other user recommendations. Also the Timberwolf blades need less tension, so I have not upgraded the spring (yet).

The other blade I use a lot is 1/4 inch for general curved work. I have a finer blade but if I need one that fine, I would rather use a scroll saw.

The riser block is not something you take in and out, so get all the blades the length for the saw with the riser block. A 15/16 inch socket wrench makes the installation of the riser block go much smoother. It sounds like an odd size, but I have used it often over the years, including for the G0555.

Congrats on your new saw, Jim...you'll enjoy having a nice band saw in the shop!

BTW, the price on the Timberwolf blades direct from Suffolk is pretty nice...if you'd like to pay nearly double, buy the retail packaged version from PS Wood and others...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You must have been a very good boy this year, new shop first and now a new bandsaw to go in it.

I hope you enjoy it.

I may be picking your brains about it later on next year as I hope to replace my 24 year old BS as it seems to be on its last legs.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Talking

Thanks Men!!
    I think I will order the Timber Wolf blades on monday
    Im going to get the buy 3 get 1 free deal
    Heres what I've come up with
    2 of the 1/2"x 3AS blades for the green bowl blanks
    2 of the 3/4 x 3AS-S blades for resawing
    does that sound good?
    Michael Ive been good but If I dont start on the Twins room LOML Is going to make me sleep in the shop! hmmmmmmmmm that don't sound bad but kids come first!!
    Jim

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats on the new BS!

I think you should also get a ¼” blade for the curvy stuff.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce!!

I already have a smaller delta bandsaw and I will use it for the small work and I have a scrollsaw for the real small stuff for now Im mainly interested in sawing bowl blanks to sell them and an some resaw work!(Hope the selling of the bowl blanks works out) Hey wheres the moose hat at now?
    Jim

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Thanks Bruce!!

I already have a smaller delta bandsaw and I will use it for the small work and I have a scrollsaw for the real small stuff for now Im mainly interested in sawing bowl blanks to sell them and an some resaw work!(Hope the selling of the bowl blanks works out) Hey wheres the moose hat at now?
    Jim
    I'm saving it for the launch party!!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thumbs up Congratulations on the new tool.

Jim, I have the same bandsaw and I really like it. I decided to give BCSaw up in Canada a try and the prices are super low. I think I paid 9 bucks for the 1/4" skip tooth blade I got. It works great. I even resaw with it for smaller things.

The delivery took forever but I think I just chose the lowest shipping possible. I got a couple of other wider resaw blades that work exceptionally well also.

It is my understanding that BCSaw is the distributor of the these starrett bandsaw blades.

Enjoy the bandsaw.

-Glenn