Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed Electric Guitar (pic heavy)

Completed Electric Guitar (pic heavy)

This is a hard tail electric guitar made for my oldest son....my 2nd guitar, and 2nd completed project of the year. The front is curly maple with green dye, the body is ash painted black. The finish is lacquer. Those interested in details of the build can find more info here.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Lets just hope he aint one of those guitar smashers. That is a beautiful guitar. I am sure you both are proud.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Scott,

That is a beautiful guitar. Your son will play it with pride. I can visualize the guys saying, "where did you get that guitar", and your son saying, "my dad built it for me"... I think you should be ready for more requests for guitars.

Great job, Sam

Wow! That's beautiful, Scott! Looks like something Batman or the Riddler would play on!!!!

- p

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Scott,

That is a beautiful guitar. Your son will play it with pride. I can visualize the guys saying, "where did you get that guitar", and your son saying, "my dad built it for me"... I think you should be ready for more requests for guitars.

Great job, Sam
    I agree 100% with what Sam said!

Even most big name rock stars don't play a BEAUFIFULLY DESIGNED*CUSTOM BUILT*HANDMADE*ONE-OF-KIND guitar made especially for them! (can you say "Signature Series".... )

Fantastic job on the build Scott!....only one question: Where are you putting the (locking?) strap buttons?
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Scott,

I didn't know you actually made things, I thought you were just a saw blade & table saw expert!

That has to be the coolest looking guitar I have ever seen!!!!

Beautiful guitar Scott.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Gorgeous guitar! I am sure your son will treasure it for a long time.

Love the dye look on the front Scott... you'll probably start receiving request from Metallica any time so check your mail-box daily..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Post Sound Clips Added

For those curious about how this thing sounds, here are a couple of crude recordings of a "green horn" playing his green guitar.

The first file is recorded "clean", and the 2nd with the distortion gain set at 10. The sequence for both starts with the neck pickup, then mid/neck, mid, mid/bridge, and bridge. The poor resolution of the recording process masks quite a bit of character differences, but it'll give you an idea of how it sounds.

The clean sound

The dirty sound
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-08-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo correction
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Looks like something the green goblin would ride on. very nice job.

very nice. is this your first? I've had a solid body project bouncing around in my head for a while now. on a scale of 1 to 10 where you would put the difficulty????

curious about resources like reference books and supplies.

thanks
    fledgling weekend warrior

Wow Scott, that is really nice! Great work. Looks like a green batmobile!

I really liked the "dirty" sound.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Thanks guys.

Chris - That's funny b/c I've been calling it the "Green Goblin".

Brad - This was my 2nd guitar. I'd put difficulty level in the about the 7 range...10 being most difficult. There aren't any single overly difficult tasks, but there are many little details to getting it right and setting it up well. I'd rate the reward level at close to 10 out of 10...well worth the effort. There are a lot of good resource sites...Projectguitar.com, MIMF.com, HarmonyCentral.com, and You Tube has a bunch of how to make a guitar videos. Loads of good suppliers online (Ebay too). Move that project from your head to your bench!

Mike - The strap hooks ended up at each end of the points on the "top side" when you play it.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-13-2010 at 4:14 PM.

thanks Scott. I guess I could have actually read a few of the first words you typed in your OP

anyway, I'll check out some of those resources. What do you, or anyone else, think of the supplies Grizzley sells? Are they a good price and good quality?

I don't play guitar at all, though I wish I knew how. My wife doesn't quite get why I'm interested in building one, frankly I'm not sure I really know why either. Its just one of those things in my head that keeps coming back around (I know, get it to the bench ).

Dollars wise, about what did it run you to put this together? And, would you consider that average, low, or did you go high end on electronics?

thanks
    fledgling weekend warrior