Thread: Anyone into pottery

Anyone into pottery

Just curious...is anyone else who likes woodworking also into wheel-thrown pottery?

I've taken some classes. Filled the house with stuff off the wheel. Have used some slab work to accent some furniture pieces (tiles, etc.). I bought a wheel but have not had time to do much throwing in the last few years.

It is a satisifing hobby. There is a lot of things in common with lathe work. Gives a sense of instant gratification, as you can create from a lump of clay some pretty amazing things.

Take a few classes and see if you like it.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I've taken some classes. Filled the house with stuff off the wheel. Have used some slab work to accent some furniture pieces (tiles, etc.). I bought a wheel but have not had time to do much throwing in the last few years.

It is a satisifing hobby. There is a lot of things in common with lathe work. Gives a sense of instant gratification, as you can create from a lump of clay some pretty amazing things.

Take a few classes and see if you like it.

Perry

I've been taking classes off and on for about two years now and am probably going to be renting some studio space soon. I was just wondering if there was anyone else.

Ironically, I hate wood turning.

My Daughter is into it quite a bit.She has sold a lot at shows and on consignment.Her web site is (sueadlerpottery.homestead.com)John

Thumbs up pottery

When we first met, my wife and I shared a pottery class in college.

We have an electric kiln & wheel -- but haven't thrown anything for the last years. We plan, in the next year, to kick this up again!

-- joe
    I'm getting better -- my mistakes are much more amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by John alder View Post
    My Daughter is into it quite a bit.She has sold a lot at shows and on consignment.Her web site is (sueadlerpottery.homestead.com)John

She does nice work. Is she single?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Judge View Post
    When we first met, my wife and I shared a pottery class in college.

We have an electric kiln & wheel -- but haven't thrown anything for the last years. We plan, in the next year, to kick this up again!

-- joe

I've been thinking I'd like to have a wheel and small cone 8/10 kiln at home, but I just cannot make space, unless, of course, I get rid of a woodworking machine or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I've been thinking I'd like to have a wheel and small cone 8/10 kiln at home, but I just cannot make space, unless, of course, I get rid of a woodworking machine or two.
    I did some wheel thrown stuff in high school and more in college (along with hand built and slip casting). I don't know what the art scene is like in Salt Lake, but here in small town PA we have a local potter who does classes and rents spaces. I think he pretty much provides the wheel and the kiln with the space cost. You could try to find something like that in your area until you can find/make space for your own setup.

Also as a side note, if you get the chance, being a part of firing a wood kiln is and absolute blast. Does some nice stuff to the pottery too.

Rob