Thread: Newbie w/ 3 Questions

Question Newbie w/ 3 Questions

Recently discovered your forum and have been pouring through its annals. Seems to me to be lots of good advice so I have a few questions.....
    1) I'm trying to restore my Dad's 1954 Craftsman Bench Saw (model#103.2000) and I'm in need of a few replacement parts. I know the saw was manufactored by King Seely - later bought out by Emerson.
    2) How is the Ryobi 13" planer? I need to add one to my small shop and can get one brand new for $200. Am also thinking about the Ridgid (have had good luck with Ridgid thus far - currently own their DP, Jointer, Bench Top Sander, 12" CM (bought all 4 floor models at one time for $500 - HD wanted to move them out to make room for the orange machines). Recently purchased a Ridgid Band Saw - the least competent of the Ridgid line but it will do for now.
    3) Since the '54 "died" I've been using my Craftsman Job Site Saw (the one with the "4HP" ) in my shop so I'm in need of a new contractor's saw. Has anybody had any experience with the Craftsman cabinet style saw (model # 22124). Any other recommendations in the $500-$700 range?

Todd, Welcome to forum. I can't comment on the old Craftsman for parts, but I have the Grizzly G0444Z contractor saw. I think it's a great buy right now $603 U.S. to your door, but prices are going up at the first of the year. Here's a link to the saw. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0444Z I looked at the Ryobi Planer when I was in the market, but got a good deal on the Delta. There is not a whole lot of reviews on that planer, I thing WOOD magazine did one several months back. I'm sure someone one the forum has one.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

I have the Ridgid 13 inch planer, and I like it very much. I don't have another planer to compare it to, but it's easy to use, durable, and produces a nice surface. It can snipe, but that seems to be more a function of the operator and the wood in question than the machine.

Todd, welcome aboard... This is a nice place to hang out.

I almost bought the Rigid planer. I've read many nice reviews about it. I was in HD and wheeled up to the checkout only to discover I left my wallet home... But the next day I found a Delta planer on clearance at Lowe's for 229 instead! First, check your local Lowe's and have them search every store in your state for a Delta 22-580 planer. If they can find one it will be $229, and also has a $30 rebate. Otherwise, I think the Rigid is a nice machine. I haven't heard a word about the Ryobi....

Next, there was a guy here that just bought the Crafstaman cabinet saw. Check it out here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14226

Hope this helps!
    BTW, if you share new tool purchases here, you must back it up with pictures!