Thread: Shop heating/AC?

Shop heating/AC?

One of the contractors who bid my shop addition, quoted me an electric heater for $200. Guaranteed it would heat the shop. But since he was $8000 over the other bid, needless to say I didn't go with him. But I checked on the heater at the local HVAC that he mentioned when we were talking about it. I don't know what the deal is, I've done business with both before, but the HVAC guy says there's no way he can get anything that cheap. Now, I figured on putting in a ceiling type electric heater, and just boxing out one wall for a decent window AC unit. The HVAC guy suggested a combination "motel" unit. He's been doing some new motels here in town, and still has some. He said for a couple hundred dollars more than a heater alone, he'd recommend one of these. What do you think? I've seen the combination units (friedrichson or something?), but don't know much about them. Is the "motel" type the same thing? Anyone else ever try one of these? Thanks. Greg

Greg, my stepson bought the Frigidaire heat/cool unit, model#: FRA18EMT2 from Lowes
    last spring for his 24'X28'X10' shop and has been very happy with it.

That's the same size shop as mine will be. I'll have to look that model up. Thanks. Greg

Greg, a friend of mine has one of the "motel" HVAC units in his woodshop. The shop is around 30' x 40', and he has been very pleased with the unit. He has had it for something like 15 - 20 years.

The nice thing about the motel HVAC units versus a smaller "window" type unit is that the motel units are sized to cool the room quickly, as opposed to the window units which are designed to be more of a continuous operation. The fast cooling / heating could be beneficial if you only turn the unit on while you're in the shop.

The "motel" units are called PTACs. I'm getting ready to order one for my shop. Most of these units are heat pumps that work down to 25 degrees or so. If you live in a colder climate, you need to order a unit with electric heat strips that will take over when it's really cold and the heat pump won't work.

I'm going with a unit that can be attached to a programmable thermostat. I'm leaning towards an Amana PTH153E50AXXX

Eric, what's the best price you've seen on that unit? I roughed in a hole for a PTAC when I enclosed the porch on my shop 5 years ago. I've been saving for other items other than the PTAC.
    I have a BIL who purchased some used ones for a bout 100 bucks each from a motel that was renovating. Unfortunately he didn't seem interested in selling me one!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hey Jim,

The best price I have found was $669, here: http://www.rainbowappliance.com/PTH153E50AXXX.html

That's the best I've seen by about 100 bucks. The sleeve and grill will add about another 150. Plus $79 for shipping.

Let me know if you see a better deal. I will probably order later this week.