Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Readout on Grizzly G0453Z Planer

Blog Entries

Digital Readout on Grizzly G0453Z Planer

Alas, I used a Wixey DRO on my linchbox planer for so long that the convenience has become quite like electric side-view mirrors on my car; could I really do without them now ? The Wixey has a 6" range and for 99.99% of my planer use that would be fine. Knowing myself, I am aware that someday I would need to plane a 7" thick board and I would mindlessly crank the planer bed past the limit of the Wixey damaging it.

I contacted Grizzly for a recommended add-on but they did not have a recommendation. So for $35 I tried Grizzly's T23012, 12" DRO. The scale beam mounted conveniently to the magnetic switch control box mast. Drilled and tapped 2 small holes:

b-G0453Z-DRO-v2 other hole.jpg

The readout is wired and has various mounting options included. I used the built in magnets to keep it put. A piece of "wiremold", self stick surface conduit has replaced the blue painter's tape to control and protect the wire:

G0453Z-DRO-v2 009.jpg

A scrap of ash ties the table to the sensor (another drilled and tapped hole). A magnet catches the spoil and makes cleanup easier.

a-G0453Z-DRO-v2 drill CI.jpgd-G0453Z-DRO-v2 installed.jpg

There were some issues to work out regarding the ability to calibrate easily. The Wixey has this built in with a spring loaded beam that acts as a caliper of sorts for calibration. I found a fairly easy 3 step method of accomplishing this and the calibration has stayed since set (so far, so good).

The display is large and easy to read, does mm, decimal and fractions. Has a button for setting accuracy of fractional incremants; 1/32". 1/64" or 1/128". From experience on the Wixey/lunchbox combination, 64ths works fine for me.

Here's and overall pic of my mockup build using a different block or wood. Just to give you the overall view.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

a) very well executed. I DO get the feeling that ... once you've gone digital planer gauge ... there's no going back !

b) Gotta' install my darned Wixey on my Ridgid planer. Lazy, lazy, lazy !

c) He crosses MacArthur park and walks into a great sandstone building.

[if I've mis-read the context of your sig line, then ... please just ignore (c) ]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    [if I've mis-read the context of your sig line, then ... please just ignore (c) ]
    Nope, you are right on target. How did you get in here? You don't have a key.

– Samuel Butler

Hi Glen,
    I've been considering a DRO for my Griz 20"er, but wasn't sure how they work and how well they work. It looks like you mounted the vertical "bar" on the machine frame and the sensor on the table. Seems too simple. I use calipers to measure, but if the DRO's are accurate and this easy to install it's a no brainer. Is this a Griz product? Thanks, John.

Glen, how does the Grizzly stack up against the Wixey DROs?

I'll just stick to reading my accurately calibrated scale that has nothing to go wrong,as long as the cursor doesn't get moved.

I'm going to guess that George is over the age of 50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    I use calipers to measure, but if the DRO's are accurate and this easy to install it's a no brainer. Is this a Griz product? Thanks, John.
    You can certainly get along with out one. I just got the Wixey for my DeWalt and then became accustomed to working with them. Often after re-saw I only need to take 1/32" or so off. My routine is to check the stock with a caliper, set the planer to just thinner than that via the DRO and run it through. It is an "iGaging" product sold by Grizzly. You see there name on several folks offerings that include digital readouts.

– Samuel Butler

I am WAY over!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Glen, how does the Grizzly stack up against the Wixey DROs?
    The Wixey has 1/64" graduations, the Grizzly can be switched from 1/32", 1/64" or 1/128" graduations. I find 128ths to be a bit of a pain. I will generally scrape, plane or sand that much off while preparing the parts.

It also reads in decimal and fractions simultaneously or millimeters. It runs on 2 lithium 2032 batteries so I imagine the lifetime is longer but, I never felt the Wixey ate batteries quickly anyway. Both have auto off and absolute/incremental readings for actual or differential measuring.

The Wixey calibrates easier but needs it seldom. I will have to run this one awhile before I can comment on it's ability to maintain calibration but, another iGaging product I have has been solid for about a year without adjustment so we'll see,

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I'm going to guess that George is over the age of 50.
    I'm 55 .

– Samuel Butler

Dro?

Glen
    How did you align your DRO? I purchased a G0454Z and the DRO from Griz. I have it temporarily hooked up but am interested in how you did it.
    Thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nope, you are right on target. How did you get in here? You don't have a key.
    No.

Only half a key.

I had to split it with the sound effects man

I wanna' party with you, cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The Wixey has 1/64" graduations, the Grizzly can be switched from 1/32", 1/64" or 1/128" graduations. I find 128ths to be a bit of a pain. I will generally scrape, plane or sand that much off while preparing the parts.

It also reads in decimal and fractions simultaneously or millimeters. It runs on 2 lithium 2032 batteries so I imagine the lifetime is longer but, I never felt the Wixey ate batteries quickly anyway. Both have auto off and absolute/incremental readings for actual or differential measuring.

The Wixey calibrates easier but needs it seldom. I will have to run this one awhile before I can comment on it's ability to maintain calibration but, another iGaging product I have has been solid for about a year without adjustment so we'll see,
    Thanks, I have a couple of iGaging products and they have been fine no gripes.

Los Angeles... He walks again by night...

NICK

(whistles)

ANNOUNCER

Out of the fog, into the smog...

NICK

(cough, cough)

ANNOUNCER

Relentlessly... ruthlessly...

NICK

I wonder where Ruth is?

ANNOUNCER

…doggedly… (bark bark)

NICK

Eh, get away from me…

ANNOUNCER

... towards his weekly meeting with... the unknown. At 4th and Drucker he turns left, at Drucker and 4th he turns right, he crosses MacArthur Park and walks into a great sandstone building. (smack)

NICK

Oh, my nose!

ANNOUNCER

Groping for the door he steps inside... (door opens/closes) (phone rings until pick up) (13 steps) climbs the 13 steps to his office, he walks in (walking/door opens)... he's ready for mystery, (door closes/walking) he's ready for excitement... he's ready for anything, he's...

NICK

(ends whistling) (pick up phone/one more ring) Nick Danger, Third Eye...