Thread: Concerns w/ upgrading my Jointer

Question Concerns w/ upgrading my Jointer

A couple months ago I picked up a used Delta/Rockwell 8" Jointer, so far everything has worked great but the knives were pretty dull when I got it and it needs some attention. After the great experience i had with upgrading my planer to a Byrd head, I am considering doing the same to my Jointer. I didn't pay very much for the Jointer (in fact, very little), so putting $400 into a Byrd head isn't too much of a concern. My question is more related to power.

I noticed with the Byrd head in my DW735 that I am really maxing out the motor while taking a smaller cut and sticking with the slower feed rate. Is this something I should be cautious of with my Jointer? The machine came with a 1.5HP motor and does bog down a little when I'm using the full 8" with hard maple. Anyone installed a Byrd head and found their machine was underpowered for it? I know there is a substantial difference between universal and induction motors, just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help!

Did you put new knives in or are you still using the dull ones?

A 1.5 hp motor should handle the maple so with a new head you should be ok.

Maybe do a serach and see what the new 8" jointers are using. Should be plently of power.

Should be plenty of power. I've had a Byrd head on my jointer for a few years now. Didn't notice any change in the power requirements. But the planer you have has a universal motor which by design has a lot less torque. I would go with the Byrd head.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the replies! Just needed a little confirmation before ordering the head.

Thanks again!