Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Thermostat for the Shop

Creek-Geek of the Year award

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post

Edit: Just realized that Proliphix has a free remote access service you can subscribe to so you can reach your thermostat from the general internet in addition to the on-board web server. Looks like it will work from my phone.

I nominate Matt for Creek-Geek of the year.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Nah, that's not the geeky part. The geeky part is that I applied to get a copy of the API so I can write my own app that talks to it to add some notification features that I'd like to have.

Blog Entries
    Try a Cottage Sitter they can monitor and turn on your system. The same company makes other systems that work through the power feeds or via wireless.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Or, you could save money by doing it another way.

- Install a lamp socket under the existing thermostat
    - Test different wattage bulbs until it cuts back the room temp the desired amount (should be relatively low wattage).
    - Switch the bulb from your house using a xmas tree remote control switch or equivalent (lots of options here).
    - install a low-cost wireless thermometer for feedback and gratification (lots of options here too).
    - smile and pocket the extra money or else buy the wife something for allowing such a nice workshop.

Bob

Blog Entries

Remote thermostat

Put a wireless remote in series with the power to the primary of the thermostat transformer. It is probably buried somewhere in the panel. Trace the wires backward from the thermostat. I suspect this option has already been considered by you. Let us know your solution. Good Luck, david
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

A standard thermostat with remote temperature sensor would probably be the simplest and cheapest solution. mount thermostat in house and mount remote temperature sensor in shop. set stat to read temp of remote sensor and ignore internal sensor.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...eprogram.shtml

There are alot of thermostats in the $50 - $125 range that can do this. Totaline (Carrier) and honeywell have wireless stats in the $100 - $150 range. Robertshaw 300 series stats have remote sensor capabilities.

theres also a bunch of wireless stats on ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

If I lived in your town i would say call me and ill come over and look at it because HVAC is what i do for a living but since im not my advice would be to try ebay or find the nearest HVAC supply house (united refrigeration, totaline carrier, johnson supply, Solar supply) and ask those guys to help you. They'll sell you the stuff at cost plus tax.

I'd look into using a standard industrial PID controller, which gives you remote readout and control. I don't know if you know these devices, but the common ones have both a relay output which can control a remote relay if necesseary, as well as use different sensors, like Pt-100s or TCs ( thermocouples). They usually also have an alarm relay output, that can be configured in different ways, to give an alarm both for high and/or low temp's. I don't know the distance between your house and shop, but provided you're on the better side of 2-300', you'd be OK. I use this setup to control several hot air furnaces at work, and I even have one working at a distance of appx 1 mile, but that's a little more complicated.

But, OTOH, and for the more "gadget oriented", the PC / Internet solution probably works OK, but is of course quite more expensive. I've been around PCs since their introduction in the very early 80's, and I'd never trust a WinDoze PC to any form of unattended control application. PIDs are also usually high reliabilty devices, given their more common tasks - industrial control of what ever have you..
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 09-10-2010 at 6:46 PM.

I'm familiar with them and hadn't thought of that.

Regardless, I JUST finished installing the Proliphix thermostat which is controlling my newly-converted-to-natural-gas-as-of-this-afternoon () furnace. As a thermostat, its completely self contained, but I can use a browser, including my phone, to remotely control it from anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I can use a browser, including my phone, to remotely control it from anywhere in the world.
    But so can I [insert evil laughter here].

Can't wait to read a report after you've used the unit for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    But so can I [insert evil laughter here].

Can't wait to read a report after you've used the unit for a while.

I can see a thread by Matt this winter entitled: "I turn my heater on in the shop while I'm reading my morning email, but when I get there, it's off. What's going on????" Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-10-2010 at 9:33 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Arduino

If you have some electronics and programing skill then this smells like a great way to leverage a arduino. www.arduino.cc.

Maybe a arduino with a temperature circuit that controls a reed switch and an ethernet shield that host a embedded web server. A simple post to the arduino ip address could set the thermostat.

Todd

Well, I got some time today to play around with the API and wrote two small apps to sit on my Windows Home Server. The first is a service that checks the thermostat setting every 5 minutes. When its been on "hold" for more than X (currently 2) days, it sends me an email, then every Y (currently 1) days after that. That will keep me from accidentally heating the shop when I don't plan to work out there. The second app is a simple web app that shows the current shop temp, temp setting, and whether or not the thermostat is on hold or normal. Then there are two buttons, one to go back to normal, and one to put it on hold at 62 degrees which is my usual working temp. I've got the thermostat schedule set so that "normal" is 42 degrees which is my not-in-use temperature to prevent freezing.

The other thing I found is that the model I bought supports up to two external temp sensors. And I found that their outdoor sensor is pretty inexpensive so I have one of those on the way.

A friend of mine came up with a very inexpensive solution for his shop. He sets his mercury thermostat for whatever he wants his shop to be at. He plugs in a remote Christmas light switch into an outlet and then plugs his shop heater into the remote switch. Now he can turn the power to his heater on or off from inside his house. When the power comes on so does his heater and it automatically heats to whatever his thermostat is set to.

I'll add this here in case someone comes across this thread in the future looking for options. Home Depot has a new option for a Wifi-enabled thermostat. The reviews on HomeDepot.com are mixed but some of the bad reveiws seem to be from non-technical people who didn't know how to make it work.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search

As for my Proliphix thermostat, its been working out quite well for me. First, I bought the outdoor temp sensor and a second remote sensor so I could monitor the temp in my shop office which I keep heated in the winter so I can store glue and WB finishes. Also I suspected that it tends to get too hot in the summer so now I'm able to monitor both conditions.

Second I developed two .Net apps that I use with it. One is a web page that shows the readings and has Heat, Away, and Cool buttons. Heat means hold the temp at 62F with the ability to adjust the temp as needed. Away means hold the temp at 42. And Cool turns on the AC held at a TBD setpoint (just installed the AC this fall so I haven't really used it yet.) I can access the web page from my PC or even from my phone. The second app is a service that reads the status periodically. If its been on Heat or Cool for more than 48 hours, I get an email reminder every 24 hours so no more accidentally leaving it on for a week. It also records the temp readings to a small database. Both of those live on my Windows Home Server machine.

Cool to hear you went with Proliphix. That is what I would have recommended if I saw this thread earlier. I have had the NT20e for about 2 years now and it has probably paid for itself with the energy saving I have had in my house. Your setup sounds close to mine because I have Windows Home Server as well and using a java program to pull temperatures from it and write to an XML file. I then can generate temperature graphs using Adobe Flex Builder.