Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Dresser

Blog Entries

Building a Dresser

Hi all, my daughter would like me to build her a new dresser. I'm thinking for once, I'd like to use plans and follow them. Any suggestions on where to get dresser plans and I might as well ask now, what kind and where to get drawer slides for the dresser? Thank you for any help, Sean

Pertaining to drawer slides I love NK style and I'll never use store bought slides for a chest of drawers again. Google on sawmill creek and you'll find several good explanations of NK style drawers.

Sean, there are some dresser plans from one of the woodworking magazines on plansnow.com. I haven't built from them but they seem ok. I've been buying slides from gliderite for my shop cabinets (good prices but have to buy 10 packs). I prefer Blum slides for furniture projects that are higher end. I buy mine from Amazon.

Build A Web Frame

For a dresser, I would build a web frame - wooden slides. Wax them with a good paste wax and your drawers will glide quite nicely. Visit some antique stores or second hand stores and examine the construction on some of these pieces. The web frame takes a bit longer to build, but in the end you will be pleased with the results.

I'm building a dresser from plans that I purchased from the web sit below. Very well written plans, and easy to understand. The plans call for wooden slides. but if you decide to purchase metal slides you can easily modify the drawer dimensions as needed.

http://www.furnitureplans.com/pi_products/1300

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck with plans from Woodsmith. They have complete instructions to finish the project. Just a step at a time. I have used WOOD magazine and have been pleased with the results.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

There are some nice plans in the book "Chests of Drawers", by Bill Hylton.

If you are going to use metal drawer slides, you might try the fancy undermount slides with the soft close feature. I tried the Accuride 3132EC, and planned my drawer construction around them. Blum and others make similar products, and FWW has an article on undermount slides in issue 198 pg 68.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    For a dresser, I would build a web frame - wooden slides. Wax them with a good paste wax and your drawers will glide quite nicely. Visit some antique stores or second hand stores and examine the construction on some of these pieces. The web frame takes a bit longer to build, but in the end you will be pleased with the results.
    I'm still using a dresser that was my Grandfathers and made from what he called Hard Rock Maple.He used it as a child back in the late 1890's. I'll examine the construction.

I used a plan from Finewoodworking.com. Search for "Cherry Chest of Drawers". Membership is required to view the plan.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Plans...F.aspx?id=2915

Here are two pics of mine. I'm not much of a photographer. It was a challenge for my skill level but am very happy with the end result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice job Ralph !

If you like the style, "Building Period Furniture" by Glen Huey is fantastic. If nothing else, it shows some nice techniques for building dresser drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III View Post
    Pertaining to drawer slides I love NK style and I'll never use store bought slides for a chest of drawers again. Google on sawmill creek and you'll find several good explanations of NK style drawers.
    I also highly recommend NK "en-co" drawers. They make so much more sense and work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III View Post
    Tom,
    I saw you tutorial a while back on NK style drawers and used them on my dresser. I am sold.

Sean,
    I bought the dresser plans from Wood Magazine and now building a matching night stand.

http://www.woodstore.net/dresser.html
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 09-07-2010 at 9:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Shaker style is what my daughter likes as well as my wife. Looks like it will be Shaker style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Shaker style is what my daughter likes as well as my wife. Looks like it will be Shaker style.

I think Norm built a a pretty forward Shaker style dresser It my be in his book Mostly Shaker. Think I picked up my copy for a dollar or two plus the four dollar s&h from an Amazon affiliate...

Just checked, it's in
    The New Yankee Workshop