Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

6 Sep 2010

Good Morning everyone,

Wonderful weather we are having here and the shop cleaning will commence even more this week. The LOML and I have started our re-upholstery work on my Great Grandmother's old rocking chair. It's kind of like a rocking recliner but without the reclining part.

Spending some time with the family and still riding my motorcycle every chance I get. I still ride it to/from work every day and I'm really enjoying the $28 per month on fuel costs for my work commutes.!!

The daughter's hope chest will get start before long as well as my middle son's gun rack. I'm going to have him build it under my supervision so he can learn how a woodworking project flows from idea to finished product.

Been taking some time teaching Joseph how to drive. He got his permit this year and I'm trying to make time on my days off from work to teach him how to drive. He is my 3rd child to teach how to drive. I only have one more and I'm almost positive that Daniel will be my biggest challenge....just because he like to go "fast".

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Started setting up my new jointer and helped my oldest son paint his house.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Premature posting.

The Weekend Ain't Over Yet!

Cleaning. Big time cleaning. Leaf blower in the shop cleaning! Seriously, I put fans in the windows, open everything up and keep going around until I don't see dust kicking up. Then let it settle for a while and do it again. Even after a thorough sweeping and cleanup, its amazing what the leaf blower finds.

We also had family in town so we spent the afternoons at my parents visiting.

I'm writing this sitting in a window seat overlooking the Pacific Ocean near Manzanita Oregon. Spent this weekend with friends on this beautiful part of the Oregon coast. Did horrible things like riding bikes for miles down the beach. The hard sand near the water is perfect for this activity. We took turns cooking, played a lot of Mah Jong and just generally relaxed and enjoyed life. Today is the drive home (about 6 1/2 hours) but it'll be a pleasant one because we always go the back roads and get to see great stuff.

I finished my workbench, now I have to finish cleaning my garage.

Worked on plumbing projects. Water heater broke and needed to put in a new line for a water hose. Water heater is repaired, but I have one small section of pipe remaining. But it won't take the solder. I have no idea what is going on.

Blog Entries
    Continued tearing down some walls in the basement in prep for applying a bit of crack sealant and two coats of Dry-Lok (possibly next week). Moved all de-nailed lumber (some covered in mold) to the carport shed.

Also deciding how/when I want someone to come in and transfer my HVAC ductwork from the basement ceiling to the attic, allowing me to add that all-important fourth wall to the workshop. Also want to finally have the basement wood stove moved to an outside wall to reclaim some living space... so I spent a lot of time staring at it!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Exterior work for me - seal coated the driveway, replaced 3 failing neoprene vent boots on the roof, fixed a gutter, and added another roof de-icing wire.

The only woodworking project was cutting down a church pew and reattaching the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Worked on plumbing projects. Water heater broke and needed to put in a new line for a water hose. Water heater is repaired, but I have one small section of pipe remaining. But it won't take the solder. I have no idea what is going on.
    Are you sure the pipe is dry inside? If that doesn't help, I've found it is sometimes easier to just replace the troublesome part of the pipe than to try to sand it clean again if it is too gunked up.

Jacob M.
    If the solder won't take, it generally means that there is water in the fitting you are trying to solder. A very little amount of moisture can cause the problem. I have used white bread with the crust removed and wad it into a ball that will fit snugly in the pipe that the moisture is coming from. When you turn the water on after soldering the bread will flush out of the system. There is a product that you can buy that will do the same thing and is in the BORG plumbing section.
    David B

Blog Entries
    David is talking about gelcaps filled with charcoal... either way, the pipe still needs to be dry, even after you push the plug in.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Started cleaning the shop to get it ready for winter. I don't work out there much in the summer and it takes a bit to get it ready for winter...
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"