Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 finished finally

3 finished finally

Here are 3 bowls that I finished up to get in the gallery. The 2 walnut are cored from the same chunk. There is 1 more that I have to finish, but the wanted larger bowls so I waited. One is 13 1/4" and the othe is 16 1/4" wide. The aspen bowl is 10" wide. All are finished with one coat of wipe on poly buffed off with 0000 steel wool and then my mineral oil and bees wax paste is put on and let dry and buffed off with a soft cloth. It gives them a nice sheen.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very nice work Jeff. I love the straight-forward forms, and you're right about the sheen given by your finish. I'm especially fond of the grain of the Walnut bowls (I'm a sucker for Walnut!). Thanks for sharing.

Jeff, I love those walnut bowls!! Beautiful color and grain. The aspen is nice, and a good form. But, rather plain with the lighter grain - but, that is aspen.

Looks like you are getting low on wood!

Love those 2 walnut bowls, Jeff!

Beautiful bowls Jeff. Love the walnut!

Nicely done, sir. I love the shape of the walnut bowls. The aspen looks good to me as well. What does aspen do over time as far as the color? Does it darken? I've used a little aspen burl on pens, and I love the look. BLO really warms the color.

Nice job, all the way around, Jeff. I love the shape of the walnut bowls, but I'm a sucker for Aspen... It's light, and perfect for dough and salad bowls!! I think the Aspen and Cottonwood make the best utility bowls... they take on a character all their own, the more they are used.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I like the all, but that larger walnut bowl is awesome. I really like the shape.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Blog Entries
    All three are great bowls Jeff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

very nice, i really like your aspen bowl that has no spalting or fungus, any tips on blank preservation to keep it pure????

Very beautiful bowls. The grain in the walnut is wonderful.
    Jack

Jeff, love the walnut, great forms and very nice finish. I like the aspen piece as well but I'm a sucker for walnut myself.

What, if I can ask, is your mineral oil/beeswax recipe and, when it's dry can it be power buffed to high gloss, too?
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Quote Originally Posted by James Roberts View Post
    Jeff, love the walnut, great forms and very nice finish. I like the aspen piece as well but I'm a sucker for walnut myself.

What, if I can ask, is your mineral oil/beeswax recipe and, when it's dry can it be power buffed to high gloss, too?
    James, When I make the mineral oil and bees wax mix I heat the oil untilit will melt the shavings of the bees wax, it does not take to much. I make a couple of cups at a time so it lasts for quite a while. I shave the wax in and let it melt and mix it well then I let it cool to see if the paste that forms is the consistancy I want, if it needs more wax I add a bit more or if it is to thick I add some oil. I suppose I should figure out the recipe for sure and write it down one day! Once it is applied and the oil soaks in and the wax is left on the surface it will buff out some to a higher luster. I have some that has some carnuba wax melted in also and that will buff to a higher shine as the carnuba is a much harder wax.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Didn't think of a carnauba wax recipe either, that helps too.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Very nice work on everything Jeff! I also like the walnut bowls but for the form more than anything else! Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!