Thread: Entertainment Stand

Entertainment Stand

I recently finished this entertainment stand and wanted to share it here. It's made of poplar hardwood and birch plywood. Dyed with Lockwood red walnut dye and finished with shellac and paste wax. This was a big endeavor for me as my first "real" project. The project was built with no large power tools. I used a circular saw, compound miter saw, jig saw, handheld router and cordless drill as far as power tools go. I cheated and used pocket screws for the cabinet... man,they work well. The dovetails in the drawers are hand cut and drawer bottom slips were made by hand with saw and router plane. They were fun to make. I'm going to attempt to make Shaker end tables by hand as my next furniture project, but will also be working on some tool making projects before starting that.

I apologize for the poor photography and messy living room . Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice for a "1st" project, especially with no machines!

Impressive!!

BTW... Using pocket holes/screws isn't cheating IYAM! And if anyone thinks it is cheating, those hand cut dovetails should make up for it!!

Very nice and especially under the circumstance of the tools you have to work with...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Impressive Finish

And I might add that it is a nice looking finish! You would never know by the pictures that it is poplar!!

Bill

Blog Entries
    Nice project and proves you don't have to own the most expensive and latest tools.

And by messy living room, did you mean the cute little one crawling up to see what you were doing?

Thanks for all the kind words. I am proud of the work and I hope to get a lot better. I've decided for now to acquire mostly hand tools and try that route. I have recently purchased a 14" band saw, but plan to hold off on anything else "tailed".

Yes, the little one in the background is the largest contributor to the mess, but, man is she worth it! She just turned 1 on Tuesday. I'd also like to create some toys and furniture for her. So many projects and so little time!