Thread: Looking for opinions/suggestions on clean air in the workshop

Looking for opinions/suggestions on clean air in the workshop

I am just about finished with the installation of my dust collection system and am now looking at an air filtration system.

First question for my dust collection - Does anyone have this system or something similar? http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20375
    I have one 6 inch drop that I left specifically for picking up the sawdust from the floor and workbench that is left behind from the machines but don't have anything hooked up for it yet. At first I was thinking about building a simple floor unit that I could just sweep sawdust into and it would be picked up but honestly, I'd rather avoid using a broom as much as possible. Would a system like this Rockler one work well for a dust collector? Does a dust collector (vs. a shop vac) have the pickup power needed to be used like this?

Next question on air filtration - I have done some quick research on a unit and think I have it narrowed down to
    this JET (http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10.../dp/B00004R9LO)
    and this JDS (http://www.amazon.com/JDS-750-ER-Fil...4142528&sr=1-8)
    Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about one or the other? I'm leaning more toward the JET simply because of the price (and I'll get free shipping through Amazon) but can be dissuaded. Any other units I should be looking at around this price point? Lastly, I am considering getting two of them for my fairly small shop in order to have a good circulation of air. Is this overkill? My shop is a weird "L" shape but you could probably think of it as about the size of maybe a 1 and a half car garage.

IMHO, there's no overkill when it comes to DC in the shop.

One factor to consider is the replacement cost of filters. To that end, if you subscribe to one year of Shopnotes (or PM me) you can get plans for a shopbuilt air cleaner. You basically mount a squirrel cage blower inside a box with standard furnace filters on the intake and outlet. It works wonderfully.

Consider also that these things work only if the dust gets to them. To assist in getting airflow thru the shop, you can buy cheap ($20) box fans. You can then bungee cord 20x20 furnace filters to the intake. These are nice because you can hang or place them close to where you are working. They will catch the majority of the dust, and will help air get to the bigger air cleaner.

What these box fans lack in CFM, they make up for by being mobile and close to the dust. They're also very quiet.

I can only speak from my own experience.

I have an Oneida V-3000 and a JDS 750ER. The one thing that made the biggest difference was getting an Excalibur blade guard for my TS.

I now firmly feel that the best way to keep the dust down is to prevent it from escaping your tools. After you get that locked down, add an air cleaner.

Just my thoughts. Oh, and my dad has the Jet. Both are good machines.

Blog Entries
    Saturday is the last day for Jet's sale on air handlers... if you want to save a few bucks on a Jet, better make your decision soon.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I ordered my Grizzly G0572 before the JET went on sale. Not that I regret the Grizzly, but the Jet was my first choice. The regular price was too much to take though...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Saturday is the last day for Jet's sale on air handlers... if you want to save a few bucks on a Jet, better make your decision soon.
    Where are they on sale at? Or is it a rebate?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    I am just about finished with the installation of my dust collection system and am now looking at an air filtration system.

First question for my dust collection - Does anyone have this system or something similar? http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20375
    I saw that set and thought it would be a good place to start, but then I saw this one and changed my mind.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20375

I have not gotten everything hooked up yet so I haven't placed my order, but I think for general use around my shop this will work well.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Next question on air filtration - I have done some quick research on a unit and think I have it narrowed down to
    this JET (http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10.../dp/B00004R9LO)
    and this JDS (http://www.amazon.com/JDS-750-ER-Fil...4142528&sr=1-8)
    Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about one or the other? I'm leaning more toward the JET simply because of the price (and I'll get free shipping through Amazon) but can be dissuaded. Any other units I should be looking at around this price point? Lastly, I am considering getting two of them for my fairly small shop in order to have a good circulation of air. Is this overkill? My shop is a weird "L" shape but you could probably think of it as about the size of maybe a 1 and a half car garage.
    I am prepairing to order the Jet myself. I admit I did like the free shipping on Amazon too, but the real kicker for me came when I spoke with the guy at Wynn. http://www.wynnenv.com/products1.htm
    He said they they were very close to having a HEPA class filter specifically to fit the Jet model. That cinched it. With my lungs I need to have it as clean as possible.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I saw that set and thought it would be a good place to start, but then I saw this one and changed my mind.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20375

I have not gotten everything hooked up yet so I haven't placed my order, but I think for general use around my shop this will work well.
    I'm confused, both links are for the Dust Right Master System. Did you see something else you thought was better or is that what you ordered?

Blog Entries
    Barry,

Go directly to Jet's site... the prices listed there are their current sale prices.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Where are they on sale at? Or is it a rebate?
    You should be able to get the price at any Jet dealer. Tools-plus and Toolzone are my two favorites you should be able to get free shipping from both. The Jet won a comparision in one of the mags recently, beating even its more expensive PM bigger brother.

have that very model Jet and it works great i would definitely buy it again if i ever need another

I have the Jet also and am very pleased with it. That's a great price. I have tested it with a Dylos particle counter. With the Jet off, just sweeping the floor will show up immediately on the counter. Turning on the Jet brings the number back to the baseline quickly. I have not documented levels and times yet - it's on the list (a long one).

Sorry - Senior Moment

I'm confused, both links are for the Dust Right Master System. Did you see something else you thought was better or is that what you ordered?
    I'm not sure why I wrote that?

Best explaination: brain fart

LOL

Stew Hagerty