Thread: Which Wynn filter for my HF dust collection?

Which Wynn filter for my HF dust collection?

I was just looking at the Wynn site because I want to get a filter for my HF dust collection but when I looked at what they were showing for the HF it looked nothing like any of the filters everyone else is using here. They had made MDF plates and mounted a taller skinnier filter. All of the photos of the filters I have seen here have no visible MDF flange and appear to be fatter and shorter.

Call them. They'll help you get the right one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the 2 hp HF. machine If I remember they have one for that unit.
    Yes, Id call them.

Keith, same DC, same plans to get a Wynn. I asked this question in another forum - the response I got suggested the cheaper one (the 80:20 paper) is more than good enough for a hobby shop. That's the one I'll be getting shortly.

I decided to rustle with the cold weather and go with out. I'm running air out side using the design on this site. http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm very simple but effective. In retrospect I could have simplified for less custom parts, but it works like a charm I see very little dust exit with out a filter even with a chop saw using mdf. Ive also over loaded with a box of saw dust and it still did surprisingly well. It would save much time cleaning out your filter. I could run air inside but the worst of the dust is the stuff you cant always see.
    Only draw back I have is I should have purchased the 3 Hp unit.

Much here to.
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 09-10-2010 at 5:45 PM.

The shorter cartridge is something that was introduced later, apparently because it takes less modification to attach to most DC's. I had a Wynn cartridge on an HF DC (it's still working, though not in my shop). Mine was the taller type, because I bought it before the shorter ones were available. Both work fine, but the short ones are less bother to attach.

I agree that using a Thien baffle is a very good idea. When I added one to my HF DC, it decreased the frequency of filter cleaning by a huge factor, which corresponds to having the DC work much better because it spends so much less time with dust choking the flow. My setup was not as nice as that shown by Raul.

I have a Thien Baffle I already made but haven't hooked up yet. It is more of a hassle to empty. I will call them and ask them For the shorter filter it sounds like.

Don't know anything about the HF collectors, but it seems from various sources that these much finer than typical (and actually critically necessary on health grounds) cartridge type filters blind more rapidly than is sustainable (cost, too much cleaning damages filters) - that realistically a cyclone or other effective means of separation of very fine dust before the filters is highly advisable...

ian

On their site, they show both the 9E300BL (the tall skinny one) and the 35A (short & fat) mounted to the HF. Looking at the specs, the 9E300BL offers about 10% more surface area than the 35A. The 9E300BL is $86, the 35A is $106.

So it looks like I'll be getting the 9E300BL. 10% more for 20% less seems a good deal to me. I'll call first though, in case there's something I'm missing here.

The only thing to keep in mind with Wynn filters

is the more expensive one can be hosed off and is supposed to be more durable. I tap and use compressed air and vacuum the inside but still get quite a bit of crud out with a water hose. I believe the shorter fatter filters have fewer square feet of filter media but the folds are more open and are easier to clean. And anyone going with the Wynn filter should seriously consider either a cyclone or Thien baffle IMO. Without the ability to get the vast majority of dust and chips out before the filter, cleaning the cartridge filter is gonna be a far too frequent task.

The Wynn 35A is the filter you want for the HF 2 HP DC. You have 3 choices, The paper blend, the spun bond poly, and a new nano fiber sort of media. The paper blend and the new material both filter at the same level, and are unwashable, the spun bond is washable, but more expensive... I went with the spun bond and am very happy with it. That is the filter that Bill Pentz recommended on his site...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Thumbs up

I just took delivery and install the Wynn spun bond filter along with fabricating a Phil Thien internal baffle with the HF 2hp DC.

Per a phone conversation with Wynn, the spun bond type is supose to release fine (MDF) dust easier when cleaning and is more durable if using a mechanical wiper.

Haven't had much time to test but a few intial observations are:

Quieter and when used to clean a small section inside of the orginal HF stock 5 micron bag, I noticed that a lage amount of the dust was diverted to the lower bag thanks the the newly installed internal baffle. Not very scientific but it shows potential.

--Dave

YOU COULD RE-ARRANGE THE CENTER DISC IN THE WAY THIS ONE IS FOR BETTER DEFLECTION TO BAFFLE, ALTHOUGH IT BE EASIER TO GET NEW PIECE OF SHEET METAL AND USE THE CALCULATOR HERE http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...yclonePlan.cfm LOOK IN BOTTOM OF [CYCLONE PLAN] TO SIZE IT UP TO YOUR DIAMETER. DU NOT USE THE CENTER TUBE (OUT TAKE) AS IT WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE. IT WOULD THINK THIS WOULD HELP AS IT IS MUCH THE SAME AS A REGULAR CYCLONE TOP END. ID SCREW/CAULK IT , TO THIN TO WELD, WAS DIFFICULT AND LEFT TO MANY HOLES TO PATCH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 09-14-2010 at 2:16 AM.