Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need new skew bench chisels, please help me choose

I need new skew bench chisels, please help me choose

I aquired a set of Garrett Wade skew bench chisels not so long ago. Really put them to use for the first time this passed weekend. I immediately found the value in their functionality, but the metal on these particular chisels was extremely soft... using them on hard maple litterally BENT the edge!!

I got them fairly cheap (slightly used), and now I think I know why!

So, I would like to replace them very soon... was thinking of one of these two...

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1925/

or

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...06&cat=1,41504

Any suggestions? Others in this price range or lower to consider?
    Last edited by Dave Gaul; 09-07-2010 at 2:05 PM. Reason: clarifying "bench" chisels, not turning skews

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    I aquired a set of Garrett Wade skew chisels not so long ago. Really put them to use for the first time this passed weekend. I immediately found the value in their functionality, but the metal on these particular chisels was extremely soft... using them on hard maple litterally BENT the edge!!

I got them fairly cheap (slightly used), and now I think I know why!

So, I would like to replace them very soon... was thinking of one of these two...

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1925/

or

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...06&cat=1,41504

Any suggestions? Others in this price range or lower to consider?
    here are some good one's form Richard Raffan You will have to a search. Richard Sorby and Robert Sorby are 2 more. That are good . I have some from richard sorby and those hold the edge real good. May cost but can't beat the quality

Blog Entries
    I made my own from some old Witherby chisels.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 - find some nice old flea market finds with good steel and make 'em the way you want 'em.
    pat

Mr. Skew

Do take a look at Allan Lacer's website. You can buy a Lacer skew for the same price as on other sites, but remember you are paying Allan directly, not a bunch of middlemen. Allan is an easy man with which to deal. I ordered a skew, a video, and a diamond sharpening stone. He dropped me an Email telling me that the stone wass late from the maker. He said he would ship the other items and not bill me until the sharpening stone shipped.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 09-07-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

I've never found a place where I really needed a skew chisel (except dovetails). What uses do other people find for them?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the pair of veritas skews. I've had two-cherries chisels before.

The T-C chisels are harder than the veritas chisels. Maybe rob lee could confirm, but I would guess that the veritas chisels are probably high 50s hardness, or maybe I've just been rough with mine.

In general, I like the design of lighter chisels more and think the two cherries are a bit clunky if you're going to use them one-handed.

Either would be fine, but if I were going to do skews again, I'd just make my own out of 1/8th or 3/16th O-1 steel, or find decent old chisels for cheap and grind them (that's maybe more likely). I'm not exactly a tightwad on tools, so I could be subject to some criticism for saying this, but I wouldn't want to spend $80 on a pair of skews when even a heavy marking knife design could do the work.

You're probably not that far from tony seo's shop in nesquehoning, right? That being a relative term compared to how far away I am. I would imagine you could come up with a pair of 1/2 chisels you could easily grind into skews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've never found a place where I really needed a skew chisel (except dovetails). What uses do other people find for them?

Mike
    That's all I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Do take a look at Allan Lacer's website. You can buy a Lacer skew for the same price as on other sites, but remember you are paying Allan directly, not a bunch of middlemen. Allan is an easy man with which to deal. I ordered a skew, a video, and a diamond sharpening stone. He dropped me an Email telling me that the stone wass late from the maker. He said he would ship the other items and not bill me until the sharpening stone shipped.
    Those are turning skews, aren't they?

Another option is offered through Tools for Woodworking from Ashley Iles

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

You're probably not that far from tony seo's shop in nesquehoning, right? That being a relative term compared to how far away I am. I would imagine you could come up with a pair of 1/2 chisels you could easily grind into skews.

Had no idea who Tony was... found his site... very interesting! He is about 1.5 hours NNE of me... will have to keep his site & store in mind!

I haven't been there, but the in-laws are about an hour away. I've ordered from him on ebay when I've wanted something he has. He is the *only* person I've seen on ebay with a steady stream of reasonably priced carving tools that are in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    I was using them to mortise in knife hinges for a door on a small night stand for my daughter. My mortise chisel was way to large to fit in the frame, and I just couldn't get a comfortable shot with a standard bench chisel... the skew chisels made it very nice to get a good angle on the cut.

They have also come in handy in other tight spots for clean-up type work...

Take a look at the Lie-Nielsen skews. Like the L-N bench chisels, they are made with very thin side edges, which allows you to get into very tight places without damaging the adjacent wood.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    I was using them to mortise in knife hinges for a door on a small night stand for my daughter. My mortise chisel was way to large to fit in the frame, and I just couldn't get a comfortable shot with a standard bench chisel... the skew chisels made it very nice to get a good angle on the cut.

They have also come in handy in other tight spots for clean-up type work...
    Perfect invitation to get some thin O1 stock, make whatever you want as small as you want or shaped however you want - with a hacksaw and file, and then heat treat it with a mapp torch and some cooking oil.