Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need new skew bench chisels, please help me choose

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need new skew bench chisels, please help me choose

I aquired a set of Garrett Wade skew bench chisels not so long ago. Really put them to use for the first time this passed weekend. I immediately found the value in their functionality, but the metal on these particular chisels was extremely soft... using them on hard maple litterally BENT the edge!!

I got them fairly cheap (slightly used), and now I think I know why!

So, I would like to replace them very soon... was thinking of one of these two...

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1925/

or

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...06&cat=1,41504

Any suggestions? Others in this price range or lower to consider?
    Last edited by Dave Gaul; 09-07-2010 at 2:05 PM. Reason: clarifying "bench" chisels, not turning skews

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    I aquired a set of Garrett Wade skew chisels not so long ago. Really put them to use for the first time this passed weekend. I immediately found the value in their functionality, but the metal on these particular chisels was extremely soft... using them on hard maple litterally BENT the edge!!

I got them fairly cheap (slightly used), and now I think I know why!

So, I would like to replace them very soon... was thinking of one of these two...

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/500-1925/

or

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...06&cat=1,41504

Any suggestions? Others in this price range or lower to consider?
    here are some good one's form Richard Raffan You will have to a search. Richard Sorby and Robert Sorby are 2 more. That are good . I have some from richard sorby and those hold the edge real good. May cost but can't beat the quality

Blog Entries
    I made my own from some old Witherby chisels.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 - find some nice old flea market finds with good steel and make 'em the way you want 'em.
    pat

Mr. Skew

Do take a look at Allan Lacer's website. You can buy a Lacer skew for the same price as on other sites, but remember you are paying Allan directly, not a bunch of middlemen. Allan is an easy man with which to deal. I ordered a skew, a video, and a diamond sharpening stone. He dropped me an Email telling me that the stone wass late from the maker. He said he would ship the other items and not bill me until the sharpening stone shipped.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 09-07-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

I've never found a place where I really needed a skew chisel (except dovetails). What uses do other people find for them?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've never found a place where I really needed a skew chisel (except dovetails). What uses do other people find for them?

Mike
    That's all I'm aware of.

Another option is offered through Tools for Woodworking from Ashley Iles

Mike
    I was using them to mortise in knife hinges for a door on a small night stand for my daughter. My mortise chisel was way to large to fit in the frame, and I just couldn't get a comfortable shot with a standard bench chisel... the skew chisels made it very nice to get a good angle on the cut.

They have also come in handy in other tight spots for clean-up type work...

I was using them to mortise in knife hinges for a door on a small night stand for my daughter. My mortise chisel was way to large to fit in the frame, and I just couldn't get a comfortable shot with a standard bench chisel... the skew chisels made it very nice to get a good angle on the cut.

Perfect invitation to get some thin O1 stock, make whatever you want as small as you want or shaped however you want - with a hacksaw and file, and then heat treat it with a mapp torch and some cooking oil.

Skews are good for wooden plane making. At work I got a pair of Crown skew chisels,and they seemed o.k.,though somehow Crown tools always look cheap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Skews are good for wooden plane making. At work I got a pair of Crown skew chisels,and they seemed o.k.,though somehow Crown tools always look cheap to me.
    You and me, too. They do something to finish the metal so that it looks polished without actually being smooth.

I've had a set of these other LV skews for a long time and have been happy with them though I've mananed to chip the edge on one pretty badly and need to spend some time resharpening before I can use that one again.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...504,41539&ap=1

I've also got a narrower pair of LN skews and like those even more.
    Use the fence Luke

I've put in a fair number of knife hinges with standard bench chisels and never had much difficulty. The mortise is not very deep because the hinge is only maybe 1/8" thick. It's usually end grain but a sharp regular chisel seems to work fine for me.

Certainly if a skew works better for you, that's what you should use.

My experience with skews is that they get so little use that you can make them from inexpensive chisels - just grind them to whatever skew angle you want. I've used the Irwin blue handle for 1/4" skews for dovetails.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've put in a fair number of knife hinges with standard bench chisels and never had much difficulty. The mortise is not very deep because the hinge is only maybe 1/8" thick. It's usually end grain but a sharp regular chisel seems to work fine for me.

Certainly if a skew works better for you, that's what you should use.

My experience with skews is that they get so little use that you can make them from inexpensive chisels - just grind them to whatever skew angle you want. I've used the Irwin blue handle for 1/4" skews for dovetails.

Mike
    Mike, my issue was clearance. I only have a full length 1/4" mortise chisel. It is too large to fit inside the frame that I was installing the hinges on. I should have made the mortise before gluing up the frame.

I am quite new to hand tool use. My best bench chisels as of now are the blue marples from a borg. I have an older set of buck bro or stanleys from the borg, I may grind them skew and see how that works.

I also like David's idea of making my own.. sounds fun!!!