Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shavings and such.....

shavings and such.....

I was wondering how the other turners' spouses handle the trail of shavings from the lathe, into the back room, and then sometimes throughout the house? They get into the footwear, cling to the socks, get all over the underwear, into the hair and ears, and almost everywere else. My fine wife and companion of almost 45 years looks at the evidence trail, then glances at the plates, platters, bowls, bud vases, spoons and flatwork and shrugs and smiles as she goes for the floor vacuum, yet again.
    I guess what I am really curious about is: Does anybody know of a death due to a disagreement over this matter? Has anybody had to spring for a new floor vacuum to bribe the spouse? Are there any horror stories out there regarding too many shavings and sanding dust in the house?
    Oh, by the way......... does anybody else get occasional small sores on the scalp from the more noxious dust, etcetera from certain woods during the hot, sweaty summer months?
    Think carefully about your answers, as it is possible that some of the replies might be included in the 1st version of the "World Almanac of Turning Trivia and Other Unimportant Facts"

I use the air hose to blow myself off before I ever leave the wood shop and go into the house.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I use a turning smock for deflecting most of the shavings from sticking. I also use a small brush to remove any stragglers on my arms, legs and clothes. Always remove shoes/boots before coming in. I also like to rinse my arms off with a garden hose before coming in from my outdoor shop.

On the weird side I some times use the 4" hose from my dust collector to suck out all the shavings and dust from my hair. It works good and gives that weird scientist look.

I use the air hose. If I still drag stuff in I just shrug and point at the dog

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    ...the trail of shavings from the lathe, into the back room, and then sometimes throughout the house?...
    Fred, I have never been suicidal enough to test this out!!!

I am pretty fanatical about a clean shop, and normally (not every time, but nearly) I clean up my shop before shutting down for the evening. In that process, I use the air hose, and a bench brush to get clean of any loose dust and shavings. When weather permits, I make it a point to walk in the grass on the way to the house so as to get any stragglers off my shoes, then as I hit the driveway and sidewalk, I beat my pants, fluff my shirt, and do a good foot stompin' to get the dust off.

Just glad we are remote, and no neighbors can see or video this ritual! Though, on the right TV program, it could produce enough $$$ for some new toys!

I do as some fo the others in wearing a turning smock and using the air hose as well. Does it get everything? No, of course not. There was a time when the LOML did mention it, but all I had to do was point to all the tiny little threads that she carried around the house from her quilting room. Nuff said.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I use a smock when I turn and an air hose to get most of what's left. In good weather, the shoes and socks come off before I go in the house. In the winter, I take off the shoes and socks in our entryway. I don't know how to help you with getting shavings off your underwear. Never got any there. Maybe wearing pants while you're turning would be a good idea to adopt lol
    Last edited by Rob Holcomb; 09-07-2010 at 5:25 PM.

I remember when I was younger we were always taught NOT to use the air hose to blow yourself off for various reasons. I use a smock and just brush myself off as good as possible.

I use the air hose also but I have a bad habit of wearing shorts this time of year so the dust and small clippings get in my shoes. If I don't remove them before entering the house, I leave a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    ...Does anybody know of a death due to a disagreement over this matter? Has anybody had to spring for a new floor vacuum to bribe the spouse? Are there any horror stories out there regarding too many shavings and sanding dust in the house?...[/I]
    Husbands have been killed for less severe offenses, so I would tread lightly. As for the floor vac... If you are so lucky as to be able to consider a cleaning implement a bribe, your marital safety far exceeds mine!

I, too, use the air hose to blow off my clothes, skin, and hair. We have two dogs and a four year old, so I generally cause less trouble with messiness than the other occupants of the house.

I wear shorts and tee shirts in the summer, because my shop is so hot. Her Majesty made me some spats to keep the shavings out of my shoes. I also blow myself off with the air gun every time I come into the house. But, nearly every day, I find shavings in my underwear... makes a gripy old man even more so, sometimes...
    Her majesty finally gave up chasing me out of the house with the broom. Now she just loves the things I make her, and, with a sigh, grabs the vac.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I am pleased to discover that I, and most of the other Creekers, maintain domestic tranquility and cleanliness in similar ways. What brought this discussion to the surface was the most recent failing of my air compressor. For a few short (long) days, I was unable to "wash" myself off with the air gun before clambering up to the house. In the summer I wear shorts and any of my older, ugly, pocketless short sleeved shirts, with sneakers, as turning gear. In the winter I wear nylon pants instead of shorts. When I get to the back door, I sit down on the step, take my sneakers and socks off, and dust off most of what can be reached (underwear is unaffected at this time...). I then truck into the mud room, and take off and hang up the shirt, to be reused the next day. Then, after my shower and pouring a beverage, I invite honey to take a walk to the shop to view and critique my days' results.... (sometimes it is favorable). This a ritual that is almost 2 years old. It's interesting how our rituals change over the decades...

Fred the LOML after 42 yrs just rolls her eyes when she sees the trail. I generally don't get much in my hair with the airstream, use a smock and air hose to blow off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

mediation....

It's all a trade out...you do your best and you bring in what you bring in. We don't live in a "homes beautiful" showplace. We live with 2 basset hounds that own all the furniture, and we LIVE in our house. Now it's not a dump, so we pick up and vacuum regularly. I've been know to vacuum up the trail of evidence myslelf.. and if lil missie wants a new machine...well, cost of doing business in the vortex.
    Guitars are loud, wood is dusty..... thats life.
    mj

And... yes to the query about the little irritations on the scalp, Fred. I don't know which wood causes them, but they occasionally irritate the hound out of me.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.