Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shavings and such.....

I get the old "eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh git back out there and clean yourself off" on a pretty regular basis.

Blog Entries
    Blow them out or suck them up.

If I've got a good pile of fluffy stuff they go into my Rubbermaid/Cedar tub. They make great fire starters for the fire place. (Nothing exotic)
    Have a Nice Day!

My shop is several yards from the house which helps a lot, other than than that I brush off or blow myself down with the air
    neil

The wooden Potter

Well...John Keeton and I have something in common. I turn in a t-shirt with pockets and jeans. When done, I use the air hose to blow myself off and then do the John Keeton "walk-in-the-grass- stomp-my-feet-on-sidewalk-and-carport-floor" before entering the house. She still fusses when I forget to blow the shavings out of my t-shirt pocket.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As a short fella I always have to roll my pants cuffs up. I have to remember to empty the shirt pockets and pant cuffs of shavings or I lose "wife" points. Besides that she is pretty tolerant )

I have a change of clothing in the shop, I change into them when I do any wood working stuff. Once done I change again done min. wood chips.

Blog Entries
    I have been extra careful to make sure that I don't drag any curlies, shavings, or woodchips into the house ever since my wife promised to replace my soft Charmin Ultra with them if I didn't correct the problem.

I'm 'Ultra' careful now...

My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

My new Shop

Currently I am in the process of shutting down my shop for a pending move to my new shop. Previously I drug them all through the house to the bedroom. The new shop will be attached to my dream home so I can ditch the clothes if need be and run down the hall to the bedroom. Someone asked me why I call it my dream home and I tell them "Because it has an attached heated shop........... I even have a picture because I know how it goes if there isn't pictures it didn't happen.

"There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

My wife turns too so I just blame them on her.

Using compressed air around the face can have bad results. I have a hair dryer hanging at the door to use to blow dust off my face and what little hair there is. A nylon turning smock keeps most of the shavings off the body and out of the shirt and pant pockets. The big issue still for me is th shavings on shoe laces and inside the shoes, and maybe some spats are in order. A members wife in the local club makes the smocks and also has spats. Several turners use the spats with their shorts and are a comical sight, but don't have shavings on the shoes.

My wife is used to it. Woodchips, grease, gass clippings, you name it... I try to keep clean and clean up after myself but theres always something on the floor, couch, bed, etc.