Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build on or stand alone workshop?

Build on or stand alone workshop?

I have gotten the OK from the spousal unit to build a workshop. I need help deciding if I should build a pole barn style shop or add a shop to the back of our attached two car garage?

Does one way cost more than the other?
    Is one better/worse for property value?
    Are utilities harder to install in the stand alone?
    Is 24'x30' too small?

Any help you can give on the Pros and cons will be appreciated.

Bill

There are pros and cons to both ways. Certainly a stand alone is likely to cost a little more than add-on. The plus is you don't have sound pollution or dust pollution going into the house. My shop is stand alone and I love it. Re size; whatever you build will ultimately be too small.

I had a 24 x 36 and it was just about right for me but it all depends on what type of work you are going to do.Myself it is just a hobby and I like to have my alone time and this is how I like to do it.Since I am currently shopless right now any size would do with me.If your going to build large items you might get by with a 24x30 for now but will outgrow it fast and add on later.What type of things are you going to build?That will help with your size decision.
    Donny

Its interesting that you asked this question. My wife and I have been toying with this for quite some time. She has given me the go ahead to build, however I am torn on whether to extend my current garage to have an additional 24x32 shop or to set it back 5 or 10' and dig it to have a small basement for things such as wires, ducting some equipment etc.......

I haven't engaged an architect yet, one of the down sides I can possibly see is the potential requirement to sheetrock the walls as opposed to OSB/Wood. I am not sure that applies here in Greene County Ohio. I would prefer an attached shop to the garage, however, there are technical challenges to overcome such as footings and the like..........

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    ... Certainly a stand alone is likely to cost a little more than add-on. ....
    Where I live a stand alone build was considerably cheaper that an add-on. I thought the same way as David until I got some quotes. A stand alone shop also has a lower tax rate where I live. If a structure is attached the square feet of the structure are added to the house for figuring the school tax. Check the differences in your area before you decide which one you want.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I built my shop detached - the main thoughts being to separate dirt, noise, and fumes from the house as well as the associated dangers.

Cost can depend on a lot of factors dependent on your particular construction situation. Likewise, property values depend on a number of factors including what others have done in the neighborhood, what construction method you choose, and whether the buyer sees it as a benefit or a detriment.

It would help to have details to compare. A detached shop built in the architectural style of the house will be more expensive but also be more likely to add value to the property while a generic pole building will be cheaper but also not add value and possibly lower the value depending on the neighborhood.

You might also check with your insurance agent.

Building an attached shop - with its attendant risks - high current tools, sawdust, wood, flammable finishes, air compressors, etc. - might drive your costs up to insure the ole' homestead.

Brian

My shop is off the back of my garage. Actually it used to be the garage and I built a new garage in front of it. Access is through a double door in the back of the new garage. This works out great for loading and unloading. It is also nice not to have to go out in the weather to get to the shop. The shop and the house do not share any walls so the sound doesn't carry into the house. Doing it this way is cheaper because you don't have to build one wall or a longer driveway.

Blog Entries
    I've done both - 20x30 stand alone and added 16' to the back of a two car garage. Can't give you a read on the difference in costs because it was two different states, 5 years apart and brick shop versus vinyl garage. I can't see a lot of pros/cons either way as long as the garage version doesn't put dust and noise in the house (mine didn't).

The 20x30 was a great size and then I went down to the garage shop (16x24) and now am in the 3rd stall of a 3 car garage (about 12x20). The incredible shrinking shop. I would be happy with 24x30, three times larger than what I have now. That would seem cavernous (for a little while).
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 09-08-2010 at 1:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here are a few things to consider that I didn't think of until a actually had the shop started and built. We live in the country and in order to have a restroom and running water I had to put in a whole new septic system. Also, I had separate electric service installed and since it was to a non-residential building I had to get commercial rates, not really a big deal just 2 different bills to pay. I moved most of my tools from the garage to the shop only to discover that every time I needed a hammer or drill around the house, I needed to walk down to the shop to get it. I found that I really needed 2 sets of tools in order to avoid frustration of not have a tool close at hand.

But I really do like a separate building. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

IF you have the lot size to deal with it, a detached building has the advantage of moving the shop, and its associated risks, and isolating it from your living space. 24x30 is WAY larger than my current 2 car garage setup, and I would LOVE that kind of space...

Consider the following pros / cons.

Add on to existing attached garage.
    Pros:
    Easy access to the house. Your wife can call you in to the house while you are working to help fold the sheets or whatever. Wait... No that's a con isn't it?

Enough said.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    ...one of the down sides I can possibly see is the potential requirement to sheetrock the walls as opposed to OSB/Wood...
    Anyone wanting to build a shop needs to check local codes. Any buildings in the area where I live must have final approval by the local fore department in addition to building and safety. My shop/garage, as with all new buildings, was required to have a sprinkler system. If I used copper pipe I didn't have to use sheetrock. Since I was planning on finishing the interior I went with plastic piping (much cheaper), insulation and sheetrock on the interior.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I've had a detached garage burn to the ground while I fought with a garden hose while waiting for the fire department to find the right section of the road I lived on. We heard them a block or two away for 45 min before they showed up. So I'm biased AGAINST building connected. I also had a house burn down and take what little bit of a shop
    I had with it....

Nuff said.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Bill, I live just 70 miles north of you. This may not be your case, but If you are building a garage or woodshop on a slab, and attach it to a structure with a full foundation below frost line, settling and heaving, frost or otherwise can cause a problem where the two structures join.

Noise, dust and fire are also good reasons to at least not attach to the house. I doubled the size of my existing garage so I could have a dedicated woodshop. They are closer to the house than I would like, but not attached.

Can't you hear your wife saying "I know I said you could attach the shop to the house, but who knew you would make THAT MUCH noise" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andrews View Post
    This may not be your case, but If you are building a garage or woodshop on a slab, and attach it to a structure with a full foundation below frost line, settling and heaving, frost or otherwise can cause a problem where the two structures join.
    Done properly, this isn't a problem. But one has to be aware of what they are understand it or they are going to run into problems!