Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you all learn to design?

Dan and Steve,both of you speak the truth. Your knowledge of anything consists of summaries of your experiences. It is not possible to "make something unlike anything you have ever seen". However,that was the stupid assignment some William and Mary art teacher would give students. Anything you imagine has elements of things you have seen.

The trick,I think,is for a "beginner" to know the GOOD things from the bad. Museums may not always have the best designed pieces in them. But,for the most part,they are a better bet than looking just anywhere.

I do not consider some of the most famous painters to have done what I'd consider great work. Nor some of the most famous current furniture designers. I met some of them when I was teaching at Penland Craft School. Some were real jerks.

Sort of along the lines of what Dan said,some artists get lucky,sell a piece to some well known person,and gets 'in".

One of these famous furniture makers made the most uncomfortable furniture you have ever seen. He made "roots" that would come out of a wall,curve down sort of in a lounge chair curve,and go into the floor. The root might be 8" wide,and was just impossible to get comfortable on.

One time,I saw him make a "root" out of stacked up Brazilian rosewood,and then paint it fire engine red. When a student asked why,this jerk said"I don't have any love affair with wood!" The amount of wood he used in a piece like that was just shocking,being solid wood all the way through. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

When a student asked why,this jerk said"I don't have any love affair with wood!" The amount of wood he used in a piece like that was just shocking,being solid wood all the way through. What a waste.
    Odd that an artist would make this flat footed point of not having any affinity for his medium.

Eric Sloanes 'A Reverence for Wood' has echoed in my work since I read it some 35 years ago. My best work starts with a real love of wood.

Not good at it either so I usually copy and/or modify. If I do try something original I usually use the "golden ratio" as a guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...oZVeb1rnt1GV4w

4. same as anyone else.
    I look at what others have done and feel really great when I see that I ain't just copying them.

Other than that, it's rip off city.

I've spent more time in drafting and design than I have in woodworking so here's what helps me.

Through the study of architecture it is truly difficult to come up with an entirely original idea. Instead, immerse yourself in designs and artists that peak your interest.

Once you determine a piece that you want to design, conduct research on that specific style and piece. Use snippets of those items or put away all the pictures and design and get out the sketchpad with all those ideas still in your mind. You may be designing a craftsman bookcase that others had possibly built similar styles to in the past, but it likely won't be an exact duplicate.

Through these practices of research, sketching, design, repeat... then you will become well versed in specifics and tastes allowing you to possibly branch off towards your "own style".

Having dated a few artists, art teachers and photographers (always the arty babes for some reason), there is a lot of "book knowledge" that can help. There are widely accepted ideas (almost formulas) on proportions that humans like and these can be found in any style from Greek temples to Chippendale to post modern minimalist stuff.

So, check out some books, take a class (even a good art history or architecture course) or... date an art related person!

To first have your designs/style, you must have imagination.

Blog Entries
    Something I don't believe has been mentioned as of yet... even though many of us may "design" by slightly altering pre-existing designs, I think it's worth noting that with enough of these small changes, as people "appropriate" it for their own use, a piece will eventually appear mostly unique to the person who has not previously seen those individual elements before (i.e., someone not in the field).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Something I don't believe has been mentioned as of yet... even though many of us may "design" by slightly altering pre-existing designs, I think it's worth noting that with enough of these small changes, as people "appropriate" it for their own use, a piece will eventually appear mostly unique to the person who has not previously seen those individual elements before (i.e., someone not in the field).
    In regard to furniture, that is a very correct view.

Chippendale's furniture "borrowed" from several different styles. It's also ironic that he never designed or built a piece with ball and claw feet which has become synonomous with Chippendale furniture.

The different furniture styles of the 18th century, generally regarded as the apex of American furniture design, all grew out of previous designs that were generally English in origin. The block front style by Townsend and Goddard was probably the only fully American design concept of the period.

What all of those styles had in common were pleasing proportions to go with the masterful craftsmanship. I'm certainly no master but I see so many self-designed pieces on the forums that are poorly proportioned and ill designed...usually constructed from a wildly figured wood which is used in an attempt to cover up for the design shortcomings.

So, I would suggest starting with the proportions from an eye-pleasing piece and designing from there. Personally, I'm content to try and re-create solid, successful designs by others.

Just remember, form and function are one...Frank Lloyd Wright
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I married one. From time to time, I'll come across gorgeous piece in Architectural Digest. I'll ask my wife, "Would you draw that table corner from the side.?"

She gives me a pencil sketch with near photographic realism. From this, i can go to the shop. It is intimidating to watch. And the average person realizes he could rarely rise to the challenge.

Gary Curtis

Im neither an excellent designer or master woodworker but I think I do alright with both.

My take design is that there really isnt original thought except from the creator. We all copy from his design and other's.

I really like modern contemporary design so when dwell shows up I look through it and put post-its on pics that catch my eye and add notes of my thoughts when I look at it. The pics arent even all wood pieces. I might see a plastic chair or a fabric sofa and imagine what that would look like if it were wood.

I'll often search through online and embellish a piece I like with my own take on how I would like it to look.

Here's an example that Im working on right now. I found this desk online
    http://www.spacify.com/modern_contem...~S+0607*A.html
    and this is what I did with it. Did I think it up all on my own? Far from it. Has it changed enough for it to be my design? I think so.
    I went from finding the desk at spacify to this sketch up in about an hour.

If you like it go ahead and copy it but make sure and put some of your own ideas into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eiji Fuller; 09-13-2010 at 1:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Elji,

I'm looking at the pic in your avatar... I may have to steal that idea when it comes time to make my built-in entertainment center for the basement
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5