Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vacuum setup - It sucks

New vacuum setup - It sucks

About a week ago, I bought a Gast 0522 vacuum pump from a local Craigslist seller. I paid very little for it... but it needed a replacement carbon vane. Fortunately the repair was trivial, the pump works fine, and I figured it was time to order the rest of the setup from Tom at JT Turning Tools.

I received the oversize handwheel for my Nova DVR XP, a vacuum adaptor that plugs into the handwheel, a vacuum kit (manifold, gauge, hose, filter and connectors), and their lovely chuck hub (uses 2" pvc inserts to create chucks).

I mounted the manifold and switch to a small piece of wood that's attached to a 24" length of 3/4" black iron pipe with some pipe straps. The pipe is affixed to my workbench with a flange. There is also a flange on top of the pipe... I'm considering using it to mount a small shelf there.

The only controls are the on-off switch and vacuum pressure adjustment valve... they are at eye level, and within easy reach.

The vacuum pump is housed below the workbench, behind a door in a closed (but well ventilated) cabinet. The pump is quiet, and I don't feel any vibration transfered to the lathe.

Here are a few of the photos of today's installation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 09-07-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

The vacuum adapter that fits into an oversized handwheel designed for the Nova DVR XP lathe.

When not in use, the adapter stores on a rod built into the manifold, behind the gauge.

In one photo you can see it pulling 27 inches of mercury. I've seen it go higher, there's plenty-o-suction!
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 09-07-2010 at 9:32 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

The chuck hub accepts 2" pvc couplers. This one is a 2"x4" reducing adapter. I used some sticky backed closed cell foam for the padding in this, my first test. Worked out very well.

Looks great! I have got to say it makes me want one!

Thanks... I can't think of anything I would do to improve upon this system. The components from JT are all first rate (beautifully machined).

I'll be making additional PVC chucks... various sizes and configurations.

I might also play around with some threaded wooden vacuum chucks... I have a 1.25" Beall spindle tap that's waiting for an excuse to try out.

However, I keep thinking along the lines of mounting wood to a pvc coupling and using the JT chuck hub... it's so nice <vbg>

Looks great Alan. Where did you get the sticky back sheet foam?

The sticky back sheet foam came from a local Michaels craft store.

Alan,
    I have a similar setup, using JT components on my Nova 16-24. I also have the adapter for PVC collars to use as a chuck, and the Beall 1.25" tap. The only issue I found was that changing the PVC collars in and out of the aluminum adapter was not a very quick procedure. Even using registration marks so as to return the PVC to the same spot in the adapter still required re-balancing and trueing the PVC piece. I also had leaks at the bottom of the groove in the adapter occasionally. A seal of some sort may resolve the leaking. I found that after taking a day and assembling, turning and tapping some wooden chucks to supplement the aluminum adapter that I could then reach for the right size for the job.

Fred, I've been wondering how well switching pvc couplers will work.

I'll play with some versions and report back.

I'll also be sure to follow all of Tom's instructions posted in the instalation guide for the hub... useful tips in there (especialy about using the tailstock to seat the coupler)

http://www.jtturningtools.com/files/...m%20cups-2.pdf

Nice set up, I'm sure you are going to love it.++JT!

Congrats on getting your vacuum system up and running! You have a very clean design - nice job on the layout!

Have fun with your system! They are worth the effort to build!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Alan, great looking setup, and it will surely increase the enjoyment factor!!

I do have a question. From what little I know about these vacuum systems (and, it is little!) the holding power is in lbs/sq. in., so the more surface area involved in the arrangement, the more holding power. Thus, a 6" chuck has more holding power than does a 3" - in theory. If that is true, I wonder if the foam you have used with the small hole, has a negative effect on that? It would seem it would not as the negative pressure would act on the foam, and then on the turning. Just curious whether it might to a small degree.

But, with 27Hg, I imagine it hardly matters!!

I have the JT setup (although I bought the pump elsewhere). I decided it was too much trouble to switch out the pvc and rebalance it, so I got two of the hubs (one was a birthday present - my friends are very patient with my new hobby). I've found that if I try hard, I can pull something off the 2" chuck (my pump pulls about 24 hg), but absolutely cannot pull the same item off the 6" chuck, which makes sense. I've tried cutting different sized holes in the foam, but that really doesn't seem to make any difference.

I did find that you don't want to dye something and then put it on the chuck, because the vacuum will pull the dye right through the piece, and stain the foam as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    Alan,
    I have a similar setup, using JT components on my Nova 16-24. I also have the adapter for PVC collars to use as a chuck, and the Beall 1.25" tap. The only issue I found was that changing the PVC collars in and out of the aluminum adapter was not a very quick procedure. Even using registration marks so as to return the PVC to the same spot in the adapter still required re-balancing and trueing the PVC piece. I also had leaks at the bottom of the groove in the adapter occasionally. A seal of some sort may resolve the leaking. I found that after taking a day and assembling, turning and tapping some wooden chucks to supplement the aluminum adapter that I could then reach for the right size for the job.
    Fred,

When you received your vacuum hub there should have been an O-ring in the bottom of the groove. Your posting seems to indicate that the O-ring might be missing or perhaps damaged. Also, if the preparation procedure for the PVC cups is done carefully, you should not have difficulty with alignment when changing cup sizes, assuming that the cups are fully seated in the groove, both during preparation and when changing sizes. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you to see if I can help with your problem. Please contact me at your convenience.

Tom Steyer
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-09-2010 at 7:17 AM. Reason: To remove direct email link

John,

The size of the hole in the foam really doesn't matter. The foam is flexible and the vacuum is spread to the entire diameter of the PVC's rim.