Thread: Best Zero Clearance Insert

Best Zero Clearance Insert

I have a Ridgid TS3650. What are your opinions on the best commercially purchased zero clearance inserts? I have a shop made one but need to change it out and am looking for a phenolic one. I tried Peachtree's inserts but they weren't at all flat and weren't the right thickness, no wonder they were on sale for less than 10 bucks a piece.
    Last edited by Brandon Weiss; 09-08-2010 at 9:53 AM.

Mine are made from Baltic Birch ply but I would like to get a sheet of phenolic to make new ones and use tapped holes through the material to provide leveling for the plate.

I just used my original throat plate as a template to cut out a piece of MDF to act as a template for all future plates I have to cut. I use carpet tape to stick it to the material and then use a top or bottom bearing bit on the router table to buzz them off quick and easy. I keep blanks on hand in case I need an unusual size or angle zero clearance plate.

I have this kit from Rockler and it works fine for me.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=insert

LeeCraft. I got two for my PM2000, one for my combo blade that came with a slot for the riving knife, and one for my dado setup. Perfectly flat, perfect fit, and included set screws for fit and leveling, and a predrilled finger hole for easy removal.

Last edited by Joe Leigh; 09-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.

+1 for Lee Craft. Have 2 for my R4511, one for standard blades and one for dadoes (currently cut for 1/2" dadoes). Tried making my own... too frustrating! Will definitely order more... I think I got mine from Woodcraft.

Blog Entries
    I've been using the Betterley system on my Unisaw and it is exceptional in every respect except for price. With a pack of 4 additional inserts I have 2 common dado sizes and 3 common angle cuts covered (90, 45 and 22.5). At this point the entire system is slightly cheaper than buying 5 phenolic inserts. As I add more inserts the cost / insert will go down. The time it takes to swap insert plates is not excessive... the aluminum insert is constant so you don't have to re-level any screws (like you'd have to with other inserts).
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 09-08-2010 at 2:36 PM.

Here is my take on the ZCI and it has a lot of other opinions about them also.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101164

+ 3 or whatever to Leecraft.

Just made mine from scrap Corian roughed out on bandsaw and then used the original with a flush trim bit. Also drilled and tapped for leveling screws. Made about 12 or so in about an hr.