Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wenzloff Saw Update

Mike Wenzloff Saw Update

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post and update to an earlier thread about Mike's saws and delivery dates. The original thread is closed so I have to create a new topic.

My three saw kits arrived today and all look very nice. The blades are quite substantial. I ordered them in early May so it is about 4 months to the day for delivery. Considering he moved his shop, had an antique machine go down, and faced some other issues, the delivery time is quite reasonable. He seems to be sticking to his word about working hard to catch back up in the back log.

I thought it only fair to post the good news and my appreciation of his efforts.

Rick

Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Mikes kits are really nice (quality-wise), and if you get them without a tote (which I'd have to assume is a big time soak for them when they're making saws) and make your own, they are *really* cheap.

So, what did you get?

Blog Entries
    Yep, Mike got my buisness, and will got more of my business in the future... I have a few more saws on my want list, but I have all the saws on my need list for the moment. LV & LN has all my future tool budget for quite some time as far as needed items go.

I have to agree that the kits are a great option for the person with more time then money like myself.

Pic's?
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Hi -

Just another vote of confidence for Mike. I know he has a handle on his backlog ...

If any one is considering a saw or kit from him, it's probably a good time to order.

Cheers -

Rob

just ordered two panel saws...and I don't even use panel saws

I just bought the big 26" Seaton rip saw from thebestthings. They were listed as backordered, but I found them in stock.
    Mark Maleski

Mark, I would love to see the 26" Seaton Rip saw that you've ordered. Im assuming you just recently ordered the saw therefore do not have it in hand. But once you do I would ask you to post some pics of your saw. For that matter I would love to see anyone with any Wenzloff saw they have. I'm in the market for a good rip saw. I've kinda just given up on finding an old user to rehab. They are very tough to find with a nice straight saw plate. I really don't want to get involved in trying to straighten a saw plate.

What does one think of their 20" versions of their panel and rip saws? What's the advantage of the 20" or 26"? I don't believe I've ever used a 20" or smaller panel type saw.

Tony, I have the good fortune of living down the street from corporate headquarters for thebestthings (ha - it's a smallish, cozy office). I stopped by one day to buy something else and mentioned to Lee that I was waiting for the ripsaw to come back in stock, and he told me it was there. That having been said, I can't show you any action shots as I'm recovering from back surgery and it'll be a couple months before I'm ready to lean over a sawbench. (You may wonder then why I bought it...I had a gift certificate from a recent birthday and didn't want to risk another sellout of this saw while in recovery).

Anyway, on to your question about saw lengths: I find the 26" to be a good length for someone of my height (5'9")/arm length over a sawbench. I get a maximum stroke, which results in less time sawing. I think a 20" saw would be a better choice for sawing timber held on the workbench, as it is less likely to bang on things as you swing it into position. I also think I'd want more tpi on the smaller saw, as I'm more likely to be sawing thinner or smaller stock on the workbench. That said, I now only have one ripsaw (the Wenzloff replaced a beater from the BORG) and will be using it at both the workbench and sawbench, and expect to do fine.
    Mark Maleski

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Just another vote of confidence for Mike. I know he has a handle on his backlog ...

If any one is considering a saw or kit from him, it's probably a good time to order.

Cheers -

Rob
    As references go, that is a pretty good one.

I got a small tenon saw kit from Mike within about a month of ordering (probably 2 months ago). Mike was great through the whole process and would turn around my e-mails with questions within a day. Even with all the work he has, he was taking the time out to answer all my questions and share some personal stories as well. Seems like a really good guy and I will order from him again. Depending on how well I can make a handle, it'll be more kits or full-blown saws . I'll be starting that kit over the next few weeks!

Greetings,
    I have a couple of Mikes' saws; one a kit and one made by Mike.

The kit is an open handle small tenon saw 12" x (.020" plate) 14tpi x-cut, with a Congo Teak handle, I've been using this saw since Jan '06, and am as happy with it today as the day I got it.

The saw made by Mike is a closed handle large tenon saw 14" x 3 1/2" (.025 plate) 10tpi rip with the same Congo Teak. I've been using this saw since Mar. '06, and this is my favorite saw.
    The only complaint I have, the saws were acquired before Mike started using medallions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Griggs View Post
    The only complaint I have, the saws were acquired before Mike started using medallions.
    Roy, the lack of medallion marks your saw as one of the earliest Mike (and son) made - you could look at that as a good thing. BTW, the Wenzloff/Seaton carcase saw at thebestthings had text stamped into the brass back (tpi, length, etc), which I think is a new feature for Wenzloff.
    Last edited by Mark Maleski; 09-09-2010 at 9:03 PM. Reason: accuracy
    Mark Maleski

I like them better with NO text or medallion. They are copies of early saws that had none.

Mark,
    I'm quite sure Mike would sell me a couple Medallions if I asked him....but they would go in the display case not on the saws. My widow can worry about provenance when she sells my tools...
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com