Thread: Router Bit for Drawer Front

Router Bit for Drawer Front

I need to find a router bit for the outside edge of my first ever drawer fronts. I know what I want but I don't know what it is called so I can't find it. It is a simple rounded edge that has a step to the face of the drawer. I've seen some bits that look close but they only show the profile view and unfortunately I have difficulty visualizing what the facing view would be. Is it perhaps 2 bits to get what I am looking for? Which 2 and what is the technique for using them? TIA.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Blog Entries
    Could it be the Roman Ogee bit you're looking for?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Something like this?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Something like this?

Mike
    If so, it's called a beading bit. Basically it's a round over with a smaller bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Putnam View Post
    I need to find a router bit for the outside edge of my first ever drawer fronts. I know what I want but I don't know what it is called so I can't find it. It is a simple rounded edge that has a step to the face of the drawer. I've seen some bits that look close but they only show the profile view and unfortunately I have difficulty visualizing what the facing view would be. Is it perhaps 2 bits to get what I am looking for? Which 2 and what is the technique for using them? TIA.
    Sounds like a roundover / beading bit, though they're most often just called roundover. If you set the depth beyond the curved part of the cutting edge, you get that stepped or beading effect. To get it on both ends of the curve (i.e. a full bead), you replace the guide bearing with one of smaller diameter or remove it entirely. Of course without a guide bearing you need some other means of limiting the cut, like the fence on a router table.
    - Tom

If the other posters haven't already answered your question, posting a sketch will help. You don't need fancy drawing software. Draw it with pencil and paper, and take a digital photo of the sketch. Upload that jpeg to SMC.

Blog Entries
    Post us a sketch of the profile. There are so many possibilities.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Try this site, they show a little bit of a front for each profile.

http://www.carbide.com/catalog/RBits_ProfilesN.cfm

Look at the Simple Radius and the Decorative Edge Details.

Beading bit is the answer. Thanks.

While on the topic of drawers, I have a question about the interior. There seems to be a general consensus that the interior should not be finished because of odors. On the other hand I hate to leave unfinished wood exposed. Not to start a religious war but is there a way to protect the interior without imparting a permanent odor? My boxes are ply. Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Beading bit is the answer. Thanks.

While on the topic of drawers, I have a question about the interior. There seems to be a general consensus that the interior should not be finished because of odors. On the other hand I hate to leave unfinished wood exposed. Not to start a religious war but is there a way to protect the interior without imparting a permanent odor? My boxes are ply. Thanks.
    Try wiping on a coat of shellac on the inside parts of your drawer. Just did this myself... the sides of my drawer were soft maple, but the bottom was birch ply... used a clean rag and quickly wiped on some dewaxed shellac (you could use waxed shellac if you wanted to)... works just fine... shellac is alcohol based, so the alcohol evaporates from the finish in a matter of minutes and your odors are gone in no time.

You could also use a paste wax or bri wax rubbed in to the insides of the drawer...

I have a finishing wax but I didn't know it could be applied to unfinished wood. I'll try a sample piece to see how it looks. Thanks.

I have a finishing wax but I didn't know it could be applied to unfinished wood. I'll try a sample piece to see how it looks. Thanks.
    You sure can! Doesn't add much protection (some), but with a couple rubbed in coats it results in a nice low sheen...

Many will only use and oil (like BLO) followed by wax... I've done this myself and the results are very pleasing, but no reason you can't do just wax on bare wood.