Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Hook-and-Loop Sand Disc Holders?

Better Hook-and-Loop Sand Disc Holders?

I use 2" hook-and-loop sanding discs with my power drill and the disc holders break on me every 5 or 6 bowls. I can see them starting to break early on...the white foamy part begins separating from the black plastic due to the stress and angles being applied while sanding. I glue them back but they break again and lose their alignment over time.

I've been buying a generic $7 disc holder from Highland Woodworking but I am getting sick of replacing them.

Does anyone have a solution?

I noticed one in the Craft Supplies Wood turners catalog called "Premium Disc Holder". It looks like it's all rubber and may be more robust. I may give that a try.

I bough some for the Sanding Glove 2 years ago the only problem i get them hot and the velcro want to come loose. havent broke one yet

Eric - a lot of the problem you are experiencing is caused by excess pressure being applied while sanding. No big deal but some products can handle it - some not as well. I have been using disks and holders from Vince and have been very happy with the products. Make sure you get the interface pads - they will wear out but it saves the holder.

http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Also call and talk to Vince. Steve suggested I do and he had lots of ideas and advise.

I FINALLY broke the only holder I had, and have been using it since March on a very, very regular basis (almost daily). It came from Vince, and I'm very impressed it lasted that long, with all the abuse it took.

I have one from Vince's and one from CSUSA. I also have the first cheap one I bought for half the price of the above. It still works fine. Hopefully you aren't putting to much pressure while using it and ruining the velcro or the velcro coming off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I get all my stuff from Vince, and very happy with them. The interface pads really make all the difference in the world - cheaper than replacing the holders.

The Sanding Glove

Check out www.thesandingglove.com. Bruce Hoover, owner, is a really great turner and has built an extensive line of wonderful products specifically focused on sanding supplies and equipment.
    Very high quality and wonderful service!

Don Geiger

Hi Eric,

I have tried a lot of them and my favorite is made by Tim Skilton. It lasts forever and holds the discs very well.

I just don't waste my time with others anymore. When I find something I like and it works, I tend to stay with it.

I am never sure of the rules with linking here, so just google it. I think you will find it to be a great addition to power sanding.

Best wishes,

Dave

Another vote for Vince. I have never broken a holder, but have worn a number of the pads out. I do get an interface pad which goes between the mandrill and the disc. It is cheaper to replace the pad than the mandrill. Too much pressure and too high speed (both the rpm of the bowl and the rpm of the disc) will create more heat, and besides destroying the disc and pad, can cause your wood to get heat checks/small cracks.

robo hippy

Get quality pads, 2 and 3 inch ones, slow down your lathe and your drill, angled drill will help to get a better position for the pad.
    High speed will break down the pads, heat will degrade the sandpaper and harden the wood, all the wrong things to do, also use good quality sandpaper and not dull paper, so change it when it stops sanding.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    I really appreciate this thread. Good insight and information!
    Have a Nice Day!

Get the Stilton from Steve Worcester and you won't be disappointed.
    Bill

Another vote for the Skilton. Have done 30 bowls with it and it is still in GREAT shape!
    John Altberg

Anyone compare Vince's and Tim's? I've used Vince's and am very impressed. I also have the CSUSA "premium" and they are much better than the other ones I have used, but not as good as Vince's. I just wore out my interface pad, and need to order more. I'm now wondering about Tim's.