Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bosch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw

New Bosch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw

Has anyone seen this new Bosch saw in the flesh? Model #GCM12SD. Savannah Toolhouse is taking advance orders for $799 but they don't give a delivery date. The Bosch website shows the saw. It has a new levered mechanism instead of rails like most sliders. Looks pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Has anyone seen this new Bosch saw in the flesh? Model #GCM12SD. Savannah Toolhouse is taking advance orders for $799 but they don't give a delivery date. The Bosch website shows the saw. It has a new levered mechanism instead of rails like most sliders. Looks pretty interesting.
    they had one on display at IWF in Atlanta last month. Redmond Machinery was the dealer and IIRC they were asking more than $799. It has a very smooth action and seemed to have less deflection that than 2 sliders that I have.
    Brian

I'm in the market for a SCMS and have had my eye on the new Bosch, but man $799 is a lot of money. Almost might as well get the Festool one for that price.

That saw looks sweet.

Is it possible the Bosch could be as good as or better than the Festool at less $?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    Is it possible the Bosch could be as good as or better than the Festool at less $?
    I wonder the same thing, Bosch is no slouch when it comes to anything.

Brian

German vs German. It could get ugly.

$800 hurts, but for God's sake the $1300 for the Festool is agony. However, I used one and it is as absurdly good as it is absurdly priced. Can't these guys make a fantastic tool that when we hear the price we say, "Ouch, but I can live with it" vs, "Holy fricking___!"

I read quiet a bit about this saw tonight - it looks killer and very innovative. The new arm makes even the kapex old fashioned. This is all new. Also, the say dust collection is very good - 90%. The KK, Kapex Kiiller? Hmmm.
    Last edited by Dan Karachio; 09-11-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post

I will have to stop in there when it comes in... they just re did the store not to long ago and they have one heck of a Bosch showroom... looks like something the factory came in and set up....If only they were a LN or Veritas dealer....I personally love the store as far as power tools go. They have ALOT of stuff crammed into this store...and it isn't a small store either...

I wonder if I wait next year a 10'' version might be released for a few hundred cheaper.
    Measure once, cut twice, burn the evidence.

IWF show special was $767 (or something like that, slightly under list) and included a free fold up roll around stand and an air nailer of some sort. It was tempting, but a bit hard to fit in my carry on bag.

So anyway, may be worth looking or waiting for some sort of special offer like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    IWF show special was $767 (or something like that, slightly under list) and included a free fold up roll around stand and an air nailer of some sort. It was tempting, but a bit hard to fit in my carry on bag.

So anyway, may be worth looking or waiting for some sort of special offer like that.
    If they are handing out the T4B folding wheeled stand then <$800 is a screaming deal. I have one of those stands and they are quite expensive but well worth it. Stand alone is around $300 meaning you're getting the 12" glider for about $450. That is amazing. I woulda broke out the wallet right there.

Ron,

My answer to as whether the Bosch could be as good as the Festool is easily. Festool quality control leaves a lot to be desired. The Domino had, and as far as I know still has, a number of problems, most notably the slipping fence issue that ruins a lot of wood. There is also a long history of jamming on the turn table of the Festool Sliding miter saw. I've never had any problems with Bosch. Also, where I buy my tools there is a tendency to not bull s around about returns - if its defective they hand you a new one. I I find the "mail it to Festool nonsense" unacceptable. Having said all that I should remember that Bosch is using a radically new approach on this saw and only time will tell.

Is it as big as their last offering? Their last saw was just to large physically for job site work, would take up too much space in transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    German vs German. It could get ugly.

$800 hurts, but for God's sake the $1300 for the Festool is agony. However, I used one and it is as absurdly good as it is absurdly priced. Can't these guys make a fantastic tool that when we hear the price we say, "Ouch, but I can live with it" vs, "Holy fricking___!"

I read quiet a bit about this saw tonight - it looks killer and very innovative. The new arm makes even the kapex old fashioned. This is all new. Also, the say dust collection is very good - 90%. The KK, Kapex Kiiller? Hmmm.
    While Bosch may be a German company, the saw under discussion is made in China. The saw is certainly unique and seemed very smooth with little play. My subjective comparison between the Bosch and the Kapex is that the dust collection on the Bosch is not as good as the Festool. As I recall, Bosch said the saw would be available around Oct 1, 2010. Wes is correct about the IWF show special pricing. I doubt that is still available though.

I was able to see the new Bosch and the Festool not side by side, but a few hundred feet apart at the Remodeling show in Baltimore. The Bosch salesman nearly got my credit card- it was in the high $700's with free shipping, sometime in October- no offer of any accessories. I agree completely that saw is just gigantic- I can't imagine moving it around regularly, or finding a place for it in my truck. The Bosch weighs 65lbs, the Kapex 47lbs. For me it is all about using it at customers homes, and the Bosch, like all the saws but the Kapex, doesn't collect dust well. If I was going to use it in a shop, and didn't have to move it often, the Bosch looks fantastic, put the back of it right up against the wall, and you can nearly get two of them for the price of the Kapex.