Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished workbench top

Finished workbench top

I finished the workbench top that was previously posted on 12/2. Not sure if I am finished with the base as I may add some drawers for storage and/or a lifting mechanism. Right now, I am leaning towards storage.

Kurt

more photos and text

The bench looks great! With my 10 degree shop this weekend I'm almost as envious of the green grass in the background. What did you use for finish? I need to build a bench in the spring but unfortunately the only finish I've ever used is poly. I've got a lot to learn.

Anyway, I'm sure that bench will help you turn out some great projects.

Scott

Kurt,

Very nice work......it looks very stable and solid!!!! your link is great for following the major steps involved....

What is the finished size - LxWxH......you started with 8' long oak boards so just curious.

You should be very proud - a nice looking bench to serve you for years...

Well done Kurt, that's a beautiful bench! It will give you many years of satisfying enjoyment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

workbench

Thanks for the compliments. Scott, I used two coats of natural Watco Danish oil on the top. I brushed it on then wiped off the excess with paper towels. Tomorrow night it will get down to 27*, so the grass won't be green for long. Roy, the finished size, not counting the overhangs for the vises, is 6 1/2' wide x 31" deep x 33.5" high. If I add the lifting mechanism, I will get about another 12-16" of adjustable height. Notice the jack with sprocket on the tablesaw. I hated to cut off at least a foot of width, but I decided that I didn't have enough room for a wider bench. 6 1/2' is the same width as my tablesaw with 52" fence.

Great looking bench Kurt!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kurt,

That is one great looking bench! You did a fantastic job on it.

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Really terrific looking bench! Great work!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Where did yo get the jacks? THey look like they operate on the same principle like a tire jack.....Will you attach one to each (outside) edgo of the legs...(4 total)???

Again, the bench looks fantastic!!!

jacks

Roy,

The trailer tongue jacks are from Harbor Freight. They were about $13 each. I removed the handle from the jack and attached a bicycle sprocket in its place. The bicycle shop gave me enough chain to attach to each jack. The plan is to add a fifth sprocket with a crank attached. I tested out one of the jacks on a corner of the bench. I can easily turn the sprocket by hand to raise up that end of the bench. There is no doubt it will work, just haven't made up my mind if I will use it on the bench or on an assembly table. I intend to put the jacks on the inside of the stretchers. One problem may be the smaller footprint. It may not be as stable.

Kurt

Beauty bench Kurt !

Kurt,

Excellent job!!!!!! The bench should serve you well for many, many years to come.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kurt that's a pretty bench. Be sure you post pics of progress of height adjuster as you get a chance to either add it or build an assy table.

BEAUTIFUL job, Kurt. That's a fine looking benchtop and your workmanship looks wonderful.

Good idea on the height adjustability...I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that on my own bench even in the first month of it being in my shop. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13609 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13783 and http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13799) Having that surface "right where it's best" is a nice thing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kurt,

Well now you've gone and done it. You've made a bench that is so nice looking that it is too pretty to use. Oh well, you'll just have to force yourself to get it dirty. Great job!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb