Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A milling machine or mill/drill for woodworking

A milling machine or mill/drill for woodworking

What would be the advantages to using a mill/drill as woodworking drill press?
    I was looking at the Grizzly G1005Z Mill/Drill VS any drill press I can find with minimal runout or quill slop.

Wouldn't a mill would have less runout and drill more accurate holes than a drill press?

It could make a great slot mortiser. You'd have to swivel the head to mortise the end of long stock for floating tenons.
    Some might say the RPM is to low to run router bits. I'm hoping Bruce Page will add his experience here.

Any disadvantages ?

Andrew:

Check out this thread for a little more info:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=mill+drill

Mill maybe 5x heavier than the drill but with more apps.
    And with more apps comes more complicated fixturing and lengthier set up time.
    Cheap (west of 135th longitude) oe expen$ive mills, of course, can do double duty in metal, a big plus.
    A mill is far more accurate than a cheap drill if that is what you want but not a drop-in for clamping up wood for sizing or morticing. And they run slow for router apps.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Andrew, I don’t do a lot of wood cutting on my mill but I can say that it excels at mortise & tenon cutting. I also use it for making unique cuts that I would be uneasy doing on the table saw or router table. My mill’s primary use is for making tools for the shop and pretty much whatever I want or need. Here’s a little plunge base that I made a few years ago. There are several posts in the thread talking about getting a mill.
    I can’t speak to the accuracy of the Grizzly bench mill but I have used a few industrial grade bench mills and always considered them a compromise to a full fledged milling machine. Another thing to consider is the price of tooling. If you wince at the price of router bits you will cringe at the price of larger end mills, rotary tables, vices, etc.

If you are really bored take a video tour of my shop. You will see a few accessories that I have made. Comments are welcome.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you have to choose between the two a mill/drill is the only way to go.
    A crummy mill/drill gives you a whole lot of possibilities that you just don't have even with a high quality drill press. Not to mention that a mill/drill will be more precise and vibration free for plain drilling too.
    As for lower RPM you can later upgrade your motor/pulleys or even go with VFD.
    I would say that you give up some convenience but get a lot of new possibilities for your craftsmanship.

If tomorrow you find out that your rich uncle died and left you millions get a 20" floor drill press AND a full size milling machine.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-08-2010 at 8:21 PM.

My Bridgeport size mill routs just fine with about 2700 top rpm. It gets away with it because it is exceedingly rigid. Makes perfectly clean mortises.

I'm glad that using a mill for woodworking is finally catching on. I've been doing it for decades.

I use an old bridgeport knee mill at work for lots of wood working stuff. It is in a wood shop, it does occasional metal and plastic machining for jigs and other tooling, but it also gets a lot of use as a slot mortiser, it spins router bits occasionally, and it is one hell of a drill press. Not many drill presses even come close to a decent knee mill in terms of accuracy and adjustability. The vice and XY tables with digital read out are great where real precision is necessary. The stops are first rate, and the table height adjustment is far superior to most drill press set ups. I see old bridgeport mills for sale in the $900-$3000 range pretty regularly, all 3 Phase. If you have the capacity to move and place a machine that heavy it might be a great option. I'd have one for sure if I could get it in my basement shop! Its the one machine guys with their own shops at home come in to use on the weekends other than a wide belt. Once you have one at your disposal you will wonder how you survived without it.

Bruce, great shop. Is that a mill in a basement? Walk in or did you drop it in with a crane?

Thanks for the replies. Beautiful plunge base and shop Bruce.

My next step is to see a mill/drill in person. A knee mill may be overkill for me.

I understand the quality of a mill BUT what function do you need a mill for in wood that a good quality DP won't do. I know there are applications just curious what you plan to do.

The one thing a mill is built for is side loads on the tool. Do that on a drill press and you are asking for issues if you intend to drill accurate holes with it. I see sanding devices for drill presses and I wonder how many DP's have been wrecked by using them. Mind you if you can buy a cheap DP and dedicate it to that use then it is a big so what.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I understand the quality of a mill BUT what function do you need a mill for in wood that a good quality DP won't do. I know there are applications just curious what you plan to do.
    I have a radial drill press that has a lot of runout. It works for most holes I drill but I want a more precise machine. I would keep the current drill press and get a mill/drill or a drill press with no runout.

12. I have used a vertical milling machine for woodworking for over 20 years. You can do some very complex things with it, very easily. The best part is that your hands are out of harm's way on a mill.

Attached is a link to a clock I built about 15 years ago. Still hangs in one of the conference rooms here at work.

http://clockmaking.com/

Shiraz..... do you think the next logical step integrating metal working machines into woodworking, is multi - use CNC mills? A CNC is capable of automating so much which is laborious with a manual mill manually.

I am surprised CNC milling has not proliferated in the past 5 years, specially in the <$10k price range, mid size mills for metal / wood? thoughts?

Chris, good point regarding side loads.

Palmgren makes metal working drill presses. When I bought my drill press, I looked for a side load capable machine.... Palmgren says their drill presses are designed for side loads for milling alum or lighter steels. This is just what I needed... just add a milling vise...so far, its worked out well for me....but makes me yearn for more !

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    I have used a vertical milling machine for woodworking for over 20 years. You can do some very complex things with it, very easily. The best part is that your hands are out of harm's way on a mill.

Attached is a link to a clock I built about 15 years ago. Still hangs in one of the conference rooms here at work.

http://clockmaking.com/
    Thanks Shiraz,
    Your Wood Mill is a dream machine for me. Thanks for posting the clock photo's too.