Thread: General-T Saw Fence

General-T Saw Fence

I recently purchased a used General table saw with this rip fence. Anyone have experience with one? I had to disassembe the saw for the move and haven't set it back up yet.
    I don't want to waste time setting it up if I will need to replace it, but also don't want to waste money replacing it if it's not necessary.

It's a Biesmeyer, keep it.
    Darnell

Great fence. IIRC, General actually manufactured the Biese at one time. They now sell an excellent copy that's closer to the original Biese as any.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the feedback. My current aftermarket fence is a VEGA so I don't have any experience with the Biesemeyer type fences.

The fence on my general works fine. I do have to clamp the back end down when I am set up to make picture framing stock with feather boards as I push hard against the fence. For general ripping it is OK. Only problem I really have is I wish the curser line was lower against the rule so I didn't have to hold my head at the same exact place to avoid parallax for consistency. One of these days I will just remake the plastic line holder.

John,

So you experience some fence deflection necessitating the need to clamp the rear of the fence? Is this indicative of all Biesemeyer style fences? Is so, that's discouraging, I never experience that with my VEGA.

I never had a problem with my General fence even when using a stock feeder.

The only issue I had is that since it isn't held in place at the rear, you couldn't use hold downs attached to the fence, since they would lift the fence.

I solved that by using the stock feeder, eliminating all the feather boards.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miltner View Post
    John,

So you experience some fence deflection necessitating the need to clamp the rear of the fence? Is this indicative of all Biesemeyer style fences? Is so, that's discouraging, I never experience that with my VEGA.
    I see no discernible deflection on my General 650 fence. I've ripped 1800ft of lumber over the past week and the cut is very precise (13' lumber using featherboards). I have a router lift in the extension table and use the fence to back my "router fence". In that configuration I have featherboards on both infeed and outfeed side and see no deflection.

Usually I have no problem with the General fence. When I do it is because I am pushing against it pretty hard at the back making picture framing stock and cutting a pretty large rabbet. I make it out of poplar 1"x1"with 3/16 left in front of the glass and 1/2" left in for the sides. Do it about 60 to 100 linial feet at a time. If you take a fence 3 feet long and put 10 lbs plus of force at the back in all fairness I would expect some flex.

Making a tunnel with feather boards with lots of friction holding the wood exactly place is easier for me that setting up a router operation. I also use a stacked dado for this with a sacrifical fence. Puting a clamp on the back end is just such easy insurance against any flex and only take 2 seconds.

When just a standard ripping operation or cutting out a rectangular piece of plywood the fence works great just as is.