Thread: Jointer question

Jointer question

Does anyone have epxerience with the L-N 7 1/2 Low Angle jointer. I was going to get a #7 and then saw the #7 1/2.

I need to reflatten my workbench and I want to get the overall more useful tool.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13547

Would you like to borrow my ECE 701 Primus Jointer? It is wicked sharp and ready to go. C'mon by...shoulda offered it to you on Saturday!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If we were talking smoothers or jack planes, I would say the low angle has been more versatile for me. As far as the jointers, it's six of one, half dozen of the other, as they say. There has been as couple occasions where I preferred the 7 1/2. You know me, I like using Port Orford, so I tend to go with low angle planes on that.
    BTW, the 7 and 7 1/2 were sitting under one of the benches when you came over that one time. Let me know if you want to take a test drive.

Unfortunately, the 7 1/2 does NOT have an adjustable throat, so you might have a harder time taking superfine shavings. I own the LN #8 and it is AWESOME. If you are going to get a jointer, I would highly recomend the #8 - it's 2" longer, 1/4" wider and has a thicker blade to boot. 0.0005 (not 0.005, but 0.0005!) shavings are no problem with this plane - and it doubles as a 24" straightedge as well!
    Last edited by Matthew Dworman; 12-16-2004 at 9:54 AM.

Fow What it's worth...

I joint 90% of my work with a #5. The only time I break out the #7 is if I'm jointing an edge longer than about 4'. So the majority of the time I just use the #5. It's always out on my bench and it does an excellent job. As long as you're referencing your piece with a known good straght edge then strait is strait and it really doesn't matter how you get there. The 5 also has a wide enough mouth to joint two pieces at a time. I know some people edge joint this way. As far as the low angle for a jointer... I'll not express my opinions on the uses of low angle jointers and smoothers.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Manny/Matthew/Steve

Manny - thanks for the offer. I drove up to Japanwoodworker this afternoon and test drove, er, planed both the 7 & 7 1/2. I wanted to start on flattening my workbench this week.

Matthew - the #8 is a tad too big for me.

Steve - thanks for your advice. I went with the #7 because of the adjustable frog. I couldn't get the blade on the #7 1/2 close enough to the sole to get a fine shaving, it was trivial to so with the #7. Steve, my workbench is 35" wide so I decided to get the jointer. I have a #5 1/2 but thought the extra length of the #7 would be better suited for the width of the bench. I think I now understand your non-comment about LA jointers.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Totally missed the part of flattening the bench top

If I'd have paid attention to the bechtop part, I'd have more than likely not rambled on aimlessly. The #7 is the way to do.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin