Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: white powder on my circuit breakers

If you want to err on the side of caution, remove one of the breakers and take it to your local electrical supply house (not Lowes or Home Depot). They'll be able to tell you if it is anything you should be worried about.

Breakers on Cocaine

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    See attached picture. What is the white stuff above the terminal screw and why is it dropping powder?
    Are these by chance the counterfeit Square-D breakers I've heard about lately?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hunsinger View Post
    Are these by chance the counterfeit Square-D breakers I've heard about lately?

Carl
    They are Siemens.

Seeing as the OP hasn't been back, I'm going to hazard a guess that the white powder was, in fact, anthrax.

I realize that you were joking, but his profile says he was on this morning around 8:00 a.m. This was his last post, though.

It was indeed anthrax and I am sending this message from the beyond!
    Just kidding of course ... Thanks everybody for the responses and sorry for not responding for so long. I got caught up in a some other stuff (kitchen cabinet install) and forgot all about this issue.

I put that panel in myself about 4 years ago, although the breakers may be older since all my sub panels are Siemens. It has never seen a drop of water. Chinese drywall crossed my mind, but none of the copper wires are corroding. I don't know where my drywall came from, so it is a possibility. I don't think nearby chemicals are to blame since this panel is in my 2nd floor utility room, adjacent to my bedroom.

The whole reason I was in that panel was because I had an arc fault breaker go bad, so I was replacing that. I am not sure if it's related to whatever condition is occurring in this panel.

I think for now I will keep an eye on it. I am not going to be too happy if I have to replace 30 breakers. I think I'll also pull the cover to my other panel and see if those breakers are doing the same thing.