Thread: Question About Using Dental Tool For Piercings

Question About Using Dental Tool For Piercings

I have been wanting to try my hand at piercings. I have been looking at the NSK Presto which can be seen here:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...sk_carver?Args

I have an air compressor with the following specs and I was wondering if you just hook the tool directly into the hose coming from the compressor? Would my compressor work, or would I need something different? I don't know much about it, so if someone could explain the process I would appreciate it. Is this a good tool, or is there some other recommendation?

Here are the specs from the side of my compressor: (not sure what it all means)
    20 Gallon
    5 hp
    11.9 CFM
    8.8 SCFM @ 40 psi
    6.9 SCFM @ 90 psi

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Your compressor will not have an issue with air volume. However, one thing about these drills I've read (I use a foredom and a dremel, haven't graduated to the dentals yet) is that the air absolutely MUST be dry and very well regulated. What this means is you'll need a moisture trap at minimum (dryer would be ideal, but thats $$) and a quality regulator. You'll find the provided regulator isn't so hot for accurately deliver PSI in many cases.

mike

I have an NSK tool and like it. You must have a regulator. If not kept under 40 psi you'll blow the turbine in time.

You'd do well to purchase Binh Pho's DVD on piercing. Binh uses the NSK. I bought my tool from him and I get all of my burrs from Binh. Also, Binh is open to answering questions. He's a nice guy.

For best results and ease in piercing, the walls of your vessel must be 1/6th inch.

Good luck and have fun.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 09-13-2010 at 12:45 PM.

4. NSK Presto Tool PR304.

I bought mine from the States @ jewelrysup in Florida for 318.00.

Freight free even to me in Australia. 6 day delivery.

I went to Dental Techs scored free foot air control and air filter regulator waiting on a free dry compressor, way to go.

Have success Peter.