Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where is todd burch?

where is todd burch?

haven't seen him in a while. did i miss something? i miss his photos and informative comentary.
    chris

Thumbs up

Though I haven't writen to him recently, I know his burried. (the good kind $$$) I happen to be looking at the user forum for Sketchup and guess what? Todd posted a question there so he's alive and well.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

He was last seen 'round these parts Monday..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I'm alive and kicking. I wish the situation as Byron described it was happening. I have been busy, just without the $$$!

Earlier this year, I was contacted by a software company, as they wanted my (hard to find today) software skills. I wasn't interested, as the position would have required a relocation.

They called me eary this fall and offered again, but the same deal - I wasn't going to move.

They called me yet again, this time, with a good offer, and it allowed for me to work for them without a relocation. So, I accepted.

I started last week. I'm still winding down the ww projects. Some customers got full refunds, others agreed to wait a little longer. The last built-in project I will do is just about done, and I'll be posting pictures in a week or two. Only eves and weekends to work on it now.

That's about it, in a nutshell anyway. I've been pretty active over the Sketchup board.

Todd

Todd,

When you get a chance I would like to chat with you about your wood finishing experience. That library you did was super!

Good luck on your new gig! Computer work has had its ups and downs (as I can atest to) in the past few years. Hope its clear sailing for your going forward.

David

Todd,
    I am sure that you miade the right decision for yourself, and I wish you well, but does that mean that the Felder will soon be history? Just kidding. Good luck on your new venture.
    Alan

The Felder is staying right where it sits.

Accepting the offer was the right thing to do financially... for the time being. My longer terms plans are quite different, but for now, it's what I'm going to do.

Thanks Alan.

David, that's fine. Call or email. Phone# is on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I'm alive and kicking.
    They called me yet again, this time, with a good offer, and it allowed for me to work for them without a relocation. So, I accepted.
    Todd
    Good for you, Todd! Make them give you what you want. I just hope you can keep us updated on the woodworking you do get to do. I always appreciate seeing your projects.

Todd,

Glad to know you are alive and well. I'm sure the decision was a hard one and it's important you do what's best for you and your family. That said, it's kind of a sad commentary on the woodworking industry that a talented craftsman like you has to get out of woodworking in order to make a decent living.

I kept fantasizing that you'd move to NJ so you could redo the inside of my house....Oh well....

Jack

Congrats, I assume are in order, now your one of us... fitting WWing into evenings and weekends and slowly making an extra buck.

So does this mean the big Bubinga table is on long term vacation, or will we get to see what them big slabs will be some day?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

good for you todd. glad you're doing well and all works out for you. do try to find time to post a few pics, however.
    chris

I'm alive and kicking. I wish the situation as Byron described it was happening. I have been busy, just without the $$$!

Earlier this year, I was contacted by a software company, as they wanted my (hard to find today) software skills. I wasn't interested, as the position would have required a relocation.

They called me eary this fall and offered again, but the same deal - I wasn't going to move.

I started last week. I'm still winding down the ww projects. Some customers got full refunds, others agreed to wait a little longer. The last built-in project I will do is just about done, and I'll be posting pictures in a week or two. Only eves and weekends to work on it now.

That's about it, in a nutshell anyway. I've been pretty active over the Sketchup board.

Todd
    Todd:

What kind of Computer Skills are we talking about? I hope they are Ruby?

Good luck
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Riiiiiiiiichhhh - Nope, they aren't Ruby!! More like assembler! (but I'll fit a lot of REXX in too)

Scott - both (did I say "both"?!) tables are still under contract. I did give a refund to one client that wanted 15' of cabinetry. Ouch - that one hurt.

The client for the first Bubinga table order, almost a year ago now, still hasn't made a decision on the base. I guess he's not ina hurry.

The second one, ordered a couple months ago, was supposed to be delivered before Christmas. But, with the new job, there was no way I could finish it. So, sometime in January. I do have the design done and all the materials on hand. It will be a trestle base, dyed black. The top will have natural edges, 48" wide, 9' long. Massive. I'm calling it a Fred Flinstone look, with its raggy/wavy edges. The vertical supports will look akin to your fingers if you hold up your middle 3 fingers, tight at the bottom, splayed at the top.

I have a few projects that I never have posted.... somewhere on a flash card.... I think...

Todd

Riiiiiiiiichhhh - Nope, they aren't Ruby!! More like assembler! (but I'll fit a lot of REXX in too)
    Todd
    Okay, so Assembler is not as glamorous as Ruby. It sure is a rare skill. So what are you coding? A randomizing module, a spliiter routine? Assembler is a great skill to have.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Pretty much control block scrapers for a performance monitor.