Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artifacts from making my inlaid guitar and lute.

I have had 14 surgeries,and an implant in my back. Had my neck fused. I'm always in pain to one degree or another. Had an epidural in my back just yesterday. I have cataracts in my eyes,though I can still see what I'm doing. I need lenses in my eyes.

It doesn't mean that I can't do my work. I'm nearly 70. If some younger person thinks he can go on forever,it's because he hasn't gotten old yet.

As a young person,we lived a real pioneering life in Alaska. I spent my spare time and Summers carrying lumber up a long hill, building a house,clearing out trees,sawing up logs,drilling holes with a hand cross handle auger to set dynamite into stumps 2' deep, digging a 500' ditch 4' deep with a mattock to bury the water pipes deep enough that they wouldn't freeze,and carrying oil up the hill at 5:00 AM before walking to school. Lots more than that,too.

My skeleton got pretty worn out,and now I'm feeling the effects. I used to be 6' 5". Now,I'm only 6' 3".

My mother was a maniacal perfectionist. All that stuff made me learn to pay attention to detail,and be persistent.

I can still handle my 115# milling vise,and lay down a 20" Delta bandsaw(with table removed) and set it back up. I'm restoring it. Not things I want to do often!
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-15-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Wow, I am going to have to watch all these videos tonight! George, don't let the jerks get you down, but the one service that guy did for the rest of us is to let us see what you've done. "Gorgeous, inspirational" don't begin to say it.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    It doesn't mean that I can't do my work. I'm nearly 70. If some younger person thinks he can go on forever,it's because he hasn't gotten old yet.
    Keep it up George, you're but a spring chicken! My grandfather passed away at 90 and he was still working in his shop up until 88 or so. He only gave up working at the lathe when his eyesight started getting really poor (cataracts and glaucoma) at around 82, and after that he mostly did carvings. He made a few lovely little brass spokeshaves, too. Quite the inspirational character, he was! I just wish I had been old enough to absorb more of his knowledge before he passed on.

George, those videos are spectacularly magnificent beyond belief! Sharp tools in sure hands. The patience and skill they bespeak are unimaginable. They're an education in tools and techniques to which we can all aspire.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Sorry about the scratchy sounding violin playing!! The Musical Director of Williamsburg had the authority to choose the violinist(a friend of his in the Norfolk Symphony). He did not have the correct technique to play a Baroque violin and make it sound its best. The Concert Master of the Baltimore Symphony ,who I made a lion's head baroque violin for,was a LOT better. But,I hadn't yet met him.

The young woman playing the spinet was quite accomplished. The Music Director was so egotistical,he insisted on dubbing over her playing. It was not necessary.

I don't post much but just had to comment on this one. Honestly I wondered why George has been posting all of this great informatiom lately, and now I know. Sometimes maybe it's good when some "Punk" opens his or her mouth. I guess I missed the offending post and that's OK. I surely have enjoyed the outcome!
    Thank you soo much for shareing a lifes work with us.
    Bob Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warfield View Post
    I don't post much but just had to comment on this one. Honestly I wondered why George has been posting all of this great informatiom lately, and now I know. Sometimes maybe it's good when some "Punk" opens his or her mouth. I guess I missed the offending post and that's OK. I surely have enjoyed the outcome!
    My thoughts exactly. I've spent the past hour looking through all his recent posts here and am amazed. Its really humbling to see someone with true talent. Not only is his work amazing, but he made many of the tools to make the work. To me, that is the true sign of a craftsman.

George - thank you very much for all your recent posts. I would pay good money to just stand in your shop and watch you work.

How MUCH good money,Rob?