Thread: Someone with a mm20

Someone with a mm20

If you have a Minimax MM20 Bandsaw would you measure how tall it is for me? TIA

Back in a minute for you
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Saw is about 80.5"
    My great lakes casters add 3.5"
    When the blade guard is 100% up the steel bar rises 3.5" through the top of the saw.
    I still hang the old mobile kit arm on top and that adds 9"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Saw is about 80.5"
    My great lakes casters add 3.5"
    When the blade guard is 100% up the steel bar rises 3.5" through the top of the saw.
    I still hang the old mobile kit arm on top and that adds 9"
    Thanks Mike, just made a deal for one and needed to know how big of a U-haul I need to get. The 10' truck is only 74 inches inside and I knew that was not tall enough. It is on Zambus casters so I assume it will be close to the height of yours. Thanks, now I have something to go on!

No Agazzani for me...sorry Jesse...

Mine is 78" at the max...no casters. I stood mine in my old Toyota pick-up and brought it into San Francisco from Sacramento.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Laid mine down on it's back. All the way from Austin TX to South Dakota. course you gotta be able to pick it up again!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Laid mine down on it's back. All the way from Austin TX to South Dakota. course you gotta be able to pick it up again!
    Thinking about that as well. I have 3 weeks to come up with a plan.

I hauled mine upright. It is about 800lbs. I really had no idea how heavy that was until just me and one buddy decided to move it. We used a wooden decked car hauler trailer. It was about all we could do to wheel it up on the trailer (even had the trailer at the bottom of the drive) strapped to my dolly, up the ramp onto the trailer. NO WAY am I putting that in a truck bed without forks of some kind. After advice from here and woodnet, we got it on the trailer and blocked it in with 2X4s screwed to the trailer and covered the base with 2X4s, then strapped it with four 10,000lb rated straps to each corner of the trailer. I unbolted the table for travel. That was kinda chore to mount back on correctly. Pay a TON of attention to how it unbolts. Count revolutions of each bolt. It will save you later. MM transports them on their spine now I guess - before it was upright. TONS easer for me upright. When I got it home I used the forks on my tractor/loader and rolled it right onto a solid pallet and took it to the shop and rolled it off the pallet. The moral of all this is no matter how you do it this is no unisaw transport - IT IS VERY HEAVY and VERY TOP HEAVY and demands respect.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-14-2010 at 12:21 AM.

BTW - you will never want for a Agazzani Unless as a second saw
    -
    Chis may be correct on 78", Not that it matters. Figure 80.5 and you will be good Allow for tip in and out height too if you use a dolly. I doubt I would travel mine very far on zambus or glc casters. In fact I would transport it without them if going upright if it was me.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-14-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    BTW - you will never want for a Agazzani Unless as a second saw
    -
    Chis may be correct on 78", Not that it matters. Figure 80.5 and you will be good Allow for tip in and out height too if you use a dolly. I doubt I would travel mine very far on zambus or glc casters. In fact I would transport it without them if going upright if it was me.
    Thanks for the pics and info!

Actually, I would have been fine with the Agazzani, MM or Laguna, it was pretty much a flip of the coin between then for me. I just could not pass up the deal. I will save the deal specifics for my gloat thread since I don't want to jinx it since the saw in not in my greedy lil hands.

Van,
    I just picked up my 20" Agazzani in a Toyota Tacoma with not even a full bed--the saw will fit in there with NO PROBLEM at an angle, and that lets you secure it even more.

Read my thread on moving the thing, I have rented trailers before, and even was at UHaul to rent one on the way to pick up the Agazzani. However, it was VASTLY more secure laying on it's spine in the bed of my pickup, the drive was much easier, there was much less bouncing around of the carriage bed or swaying that imparts stresses to your rigging.

Honestly, I really think just removing the table and tipping it into the pickup bed is the way to go. Here's the tips that made it a snap:
    1. take 15' of 2x4 or so with you and a battery op circular saw.
    2. take 4-5 ratchet tightening tie-dows
    3. take a few blankets.

Technique:
    1. put some 1' strips on pickup bed to tip the saw onto so it's spine is held off the bed to protect the hinges. Lay a blanket across them.
    2. tip saw in on it's spine, shove the top up into the front corner of your bed, angle the saw across the bed so it's diagonally pressed up against the other side. Put a blanket in there to protect saw/bed. You can already see how this diagonal arrangement touching the bed in a corner and a side will be massively more stable than standing upright or even laying straight.
    --tipping saw in was easy with 3 guys, could be done with 2, didn't take much strength as you just roll it up against the pickup tailgate, press spine up against it, and use that as a fulcrum taking most of the weight.
    3. Now start going to town with your saw and 2x4s. Cut out a board to wedge into the open rear corner then press up against the saw and hold it's bottom into the other corner of the bed. Then cut another one with 45 miters on it to angle upwards a foot or two and hold the saw from tipping sideways.
    4. Run straps all over it, wrapping them around member to lock it in place, and ratchet down tight. Pad with blankets where required.

AT HOME:
    Hook 2 ton HarborFreight $99 shop crane to it's top, or to some straps you run at trunnion area. Lift it up, blocking the crane wheels well! Tip it out, placing it on your mobile base. Lift it upright with crane and hands. I did this with my 105lb wife, no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 09-14-2010 at 1:52 AM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave, thanks more info to ruminate on! I am sure I will get my baby home alive with all this help. I was surprised that it weighs in a 765 pounds!

Atavistic expression of our Cave-Man Instincts...

Yep, it is all because of you Dave, since I saw your super gloat on the Agazzani I vowed to keep my eyes open for a deal as I got my shop build underway. I did not get quite as good a deal as you did but it is gloat worthy I will have pics in a gloat thread up after I pick her up next month.