Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Borg Product review was rejected!

I like Amazon reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Callum View Post
    I wondered why there were so few reviews on those sites... There are some great tool reviews on Amazon. Some people even go back and update after a couple of years usage.
    I second that, I've found Amazon, and some other sites that are not the producers of the products they carry (this is true for BIG sites that have LOADS or products of many categories) - to be quite good with their review system. I actually read a large selection of the reviews for each product I buy there - both negative and positive. Negative to know what is bad or problematic, and the positive to get more of a feel for the product - to see if it fits my needs (sometimes the manufacturer description is VERY lacking in that respect - telling me what the tool does)...

Also as one that works in the website business, companies will not host bad reviews of themselves (this is true for all companies including Amazon), and if they make the product then a bad review on it - reflects on the company itself. You want the dirt - you have to dig a little, no way around it.

BTW if something doesn't have a review on Amazon, I bide my time - it usually means: A. no one is buying it. B. it is too new and no one got his yet. or C. no one cares enough to review - VERY bad sign.
    I have a signature too...

Blog Entries
    Neil, Dave
    Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the rejected review, basically I said:
    -had the horse a short period of time & it broke
    -brought it back to HD, clerk was very nice & said go get a replacement
    -they come in pairs so I brought both back to clerk
    -as we opened the new ones they both broke
    -given that mine broke quickly & the two new ones broke as they were opened I said in my review that they were junk
    -rated them one star (poor)
    -said I wouldn't recommend them to anyone
    Dennis

One of my customers has one, and sometimes two, full-time subcontractors to blog about their products and write reviews. Obviously, they are products with a much wider market than woodworking tools.

Like Moshe, I read the Amazon reviews on stuff I am considering buying.

I do not take them as irrefutable, however.

Having not seen your review we can't really form an objective opinion. Based on the fact that you are buying and reviewing cheap plastic sawhorses I have to question your opinion of your own review.

Blog Entries
    Richard
    Very constructive comment
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Neil, Dave
    Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the rejected review, basically I said:
    -had the horse a short period of time & it broke
    -brought it back to HD, clerk was very nice & said go get a replacement
    -they come in pairs so I brought both back to clerk
    -as we opened the new ones they both broke
    -given that mine broke quickly & the two new ones broke as they were opened I said in my review that they were junk
    -rated them one star (poor)
    -said I wouldn't recommend them to anyone
    Dennis
    It does seem like a knitpick, but even the their screening is subjective too. I suspect they don't pay enough to attract many from the "best and brightest" pool to do the position. I wonder if replacing the word "junk" with "poor quality" would fly?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries

Nothing new under the sun

What makes everyone think that just because it is on the internet that it is has to be true and fair. In the past when did you ever see a manufacturers advertising flyer, newspaper or magazine ad with anything but rave reviews by owners quoted? You think they would publish a flyer intended to sell a product that a user says "This product stinks!"? Not a chance! So how is the internet different at a manufacturers or retailers site? They are going to use comments that help and not the ones that don't.

Independent sites might be different, but any site with a vested interest in selling a product or gaining revenue from a product is going to "cull" the postings regarding that product to be in a positive light.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

What makes everyone think that just because it is on the internet that it is has to be true and fair.
    Oh sure, and next you are gonna tell us that Wikipedia isn't always factual!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dragin View Post
    Oh sure, and next you are gonna tell us that Wikipedia isn't always factual!
    You take that back!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Harbor Freight does the same thing.
    I had to fix a compressor to keep it running. Review never was published.
    They take a few days to show up but my reviews have all showed up. I've left some honest ones (both good and bad). I checked back and they were there. It takes a few days. But maybe others have had different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Harbor Freight does the same thing.
    I had to fix a compressor to keep it running. Review never was published.
    I've read a ton of negative reviews on Harborfreight.com. Some written by flat-out idiots. I'm not saying that they couldn't be removing some reviews, but I think it is far more likely that the issue lies elsewhere. I'm a big believer in Occam's Razor and server error or PEBCAK or what have you seem far more probable.