Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim B: your kitchen finish 8 years later?

Jim B: your kitchen finish 8 years later?

Hi Jim,

Just wondering if you've had any yellowing of the finish on your kitchen in the 8 years since you did it in 2003?

I'm about to do my cabinets with a base of tinted em6500, and am wondering about the topcoat - em6000 vs em9000? Apparently the 6000 will yellow over time and the poly 9000 won't?

I'd prefer to stay with one line if possible (em6000 based) as it will get used in other projects, so was hoping that topcoating with the em6000 won't be regrettable 2-5 yrs down the road?

I'd appreciate you spin on this since you've been using this product line for a few years now,

Regards
    Dirk

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but have you considered 8000cv? That is what Jeff at Target recommended for my kitchen cabinets.

Roger

Not a hi-jack at all, just ads to my confusion

I've been recommended to go with em9000, others like your self mention Jeff recommending 8000, whereas others have had great success with the 6000?

hmmm

I found this article very informative.
    http://www.targetcoatings.com/images...ngsManualR.pdf
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Thanks John - have read that a couple times and it does help. Just more confused by the different recommendations by those associated with Target as to why one recommends 9000, another 8000?

I don't have the experience/knowledge to discern which is better and why?

Dirk,
    My first gallon of EM6000 gets delivered on Monday. So I have not experience with it yet. But the reviews of this and other Target coatings products are always so positive, I am excited to try it with my new Earlex 5000.

John,

I hope your gallon arrives undamaged. I order a gallon of satin and semi-gloss EM6k and the semi got beat up pretty good...even leaked. So they sent me another one...it also was dented up but not as badly. Their packaging leaves much to be desired; the long trip out West takes its toll, I guess.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I used my earlex 5000 for the 1st time (first time spraying too) last week spraying Target Coatings Ultraseal WB Shellac and em8000 on a bath vanity with red oak FF and birch panels.

I sprayed the oak with 2 coats of WB shellac, sanded off the nubs, stained with General Finishes gel stain, then 2 more coats shellac, light sand, then 3 coats em8000. The shellac evened out the stain nicely.

I also sprayed the panels with shellac to get an amber tone prior to the em8000.

It turned out great which is saying a lot for a finish idiot who for the most part was stain/poly experience. I used the 1.5 tip.

Thanks for the information Charlie. Gives me hope that I can pull it off too. How much time did you allow for dry time between the coats of EM8000? If the time was short, did you clean the gun between coats? I am hoping to not take three days to apply three coats of finish.

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie McGuire View Post
    I used my earlex 5000 for the 1st time (first time spraying too) last week spraying Target Coatings Ultraseal WB Shellac and em8000 on a bath vanity with red oak FF and birch panels.

I sprayed the oak with 2 coats of WB shellac, sanded off the nubs, stained with General Finishes gel stain, then 2 more coats shellac, light sand, then 3 coats em8000. The shellac evened out the stain nicely.

I also sprayed the panels with shellac to get an amber tone prior to the em8000.

It turned out great which is saying a lot for a finish idiot who for the most part was stain/poly experience. I used the 1.5 tip.

I hope too that it arrives undamaged. I have had a couple of experiences with Amazon and damaged goods. One was a telescopic pruner basically folded in half. The other was nerf bars for my Jeep. The package was ripped open and all of the small mounting parts were missing. I guess it is a risk we take ordering online. Thanks for the heads up.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    John,

I hope your gallon arrives undamaged. I order a gallon of satin and semi-gloss EM6k and the semi got beat up pretty good...even leaked. So they sent me another one...it also was dented up but not as badly. Their packaging leaves much to be desired; the long trip out West takes its toll, I guess.

John,

I swear the manufacturers are using thinner metals in their cans today.

TWICE in the last 2 years....TWICE I have had cans of Zinsser's Sealcoat shellac develop holes in the cans and leak.

The first time I accidentally set the can down on the head of a screw. I can accept that leak as being my fault.

The 2nd time a gallon can was set down on a blade for a utility knife. Mind you, the blade was laying flat on a sheet of plywood. The thickness of that blade????? 1/64" maybe.....probably less but it was enough to penetrate the bottom of the can. The next morning I found a gallon of shellc on the floor of my shop. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ..I swear the manufacturers are using thinner metals in their cans today...
    Target has your answer. They put their finishes in plastic cans.

thread drift...please start another thread re: shipping etc

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    Thanks for the information Charlie. Gives me hope that I can pull it off too. How much time did you allow for dry time between the coats of EM8000? If the time was short, did you clean the gun between coats? I am hoping to not take three days to apply three coats of finish.

Thanks
    John

John, the recoat time on the can says minimum 2 hrs. For the most part, I held to that, though humidity is low now and it was powder-sand dry within 1.5 hrs. I assume it also depends on how heavy a coat you put. I err on lighter rather than heavier.

For both the shellac and the em8000, I left the material in the gun till the end of the day after my last spraying for that day. Both held up fine. I also used a wet rag to wipe the nozzle each time to keep a skin from forming there.

Each night, I cleaned with soapy water, rinse, and spray a litttle dna through it. Also be sure and strain material into the cup.

I made sure I let the gel stain dry at least 24 hrs before putting anything on top of that.

Charlie

Sorry Dirk, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lewis View Post
    thread drift...please start another thread re: shipping etc