Thread: Stapler/Staples question

Question Stapler/Staples question

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing this following tool
    http://tinyurl.com/3y997je
    Or maybe something similar.

What I don't understand is how do I know the size of the staples and types that can be used with this (or any other stapler on the market)
    what does the sentence
    "½- to 1-1/2-inch 18 crown staple" mean
    I figure 1/2 or 1-1/2 inch is the length of the staple (how deep it can go)?
    what does 18 mean?
    what does crown mean? are there additional types? what would I use them for?

can anyone shed some light on this for me - tried searching google, but all I get are more shopping links.

To forum moderators and friends, I apologize for the commercial link included, this is the first item in the search, no recommendation, or affiliation though it does seem like a good deal IMO :-)
    I have a signature too...

Moshe, the tool you linked to is a combination gun, in that it will shoot either NC staples(1/4" wide crown) or 18 g brads. You are correct as to the length.
    Mick

Thanks, but I still don't get it...

OK I get that the 18 is for brads...
    but what is 18? weight? width? is this according to wire gauge?

and what is a Crown Staple? how does it look? is it for furniture/framing/finishing? does it have a width (diameter)

Are there other types of staples?

etc... maybe someone could link to a resource that discusses this?

"Crown" is merely a part of the staple, the part that connects the two legs. The three common staples are "Narrow" 1/4", "medium" 7/16", and upholstery type which are 5/8" wide. 18 gauge is .05".
    Mick

The 18 gauge staple this gun uses is very common and readily available in a number of brands. It can be used to attach cabinet backs and drawer bottoms, though it's barely enough and you will want to use a staple every 4-6". It's not nearly enough of a staple to assemble cabinet carcasses, or attach sheet goods much thicker than 1/4"

My experience with another brand which was a combo nailer was that it was pointless for shooting brads--the driver is wide enough to drive staples so it leaves a mark on your wood just about as wide as a staple! Plus, you want a brad nailer to be able to shoot longer brads.

Sounds like a hard to beat price, though it's likely a good brad nailer would be of more use to a hobbiest. (you can always screw on cabinet backs if you are not building many of them)

-Steve

Thank you all...

I think I understand now. Learn something new everyday!