Thread: 1" blades on a G0513x2

1" blades on a G0513x2

Now, I know that the specs say that it can be done. And I also know what the sales people at Grizzly tell me, but...

Has anyone here ever actually tried a 1" blade on a G0513x2? Would you recommend it?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Now, I know that the specs say that it can be done. And I also know what the sales people at Grizzly tell me, but...

Has anyone here ever actually tried a 1" blade on a G0513x2? Would you recommend it?
    The tension required to properly mount a 1" wide blade might be too far outside the duty regime of the bearings mounts and other components of the saw.

And then there's the shock factor. heavier blades spring less easily thus transferring more shock to the wheels and components and frame.

I'd pay attention to the Grizzly people. After all, they should know how they engineered their machines.

Harold,

When I owned that bandsaw I had a 1" timberwolf blade for it and a 3/4" woodslicer from highland hardware. The 1" never cut very well and the results were so good with the 3/4" I never tried another 1" blade.

Blog Entries
    I run 3/4" and just ordered a few more. The 5/8" seemed to work fine as well but the 3/4" "feel" better. I have never gone to 1" on my G0513X (yet).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a 1" on my 514. I don't recommend it if for no other reason that it is a ROYAL PITA to get it on and off. It's very tight with a 1" blade. The blade is just about dull and I won't get another. 3/4" woodslicer is next for me, I believe.

For what it's worth, I have a 3/16" blade on there right now. I can still do a respectable job of resawing freehand even with THAT blade. 3/4 is PLENTY. I only swap it out when I have something large to do and I really need the different tooth pattern to get through it properly.

From all the responses I have read in the past, I never ordered over 3/4" for mine.

I have never gotten past a 1/2 woodslicer. It works so well, I haven't gone further.

I have the G0513X2. I also purchased the thicker 3/4" Timberwolf blade. When I tension it per Suffolk's directions (flutter method), it's off the tension scale on the saw. I wouldn't buy that blade again nor would I think of attempting a 1" blade on that saw.

I have the Shop Fox version of that bandsaw. I currently have a Grizzly 1" carbon steel blade on it. I also wouldn't do it again, although I had to cut out some very large walnut slabs today and the extra width and heft was nice. Otherwise, the quality of the cut wouldn't be acceptable for resawing, plus you can't do much radius work with a 1" blade. Next time, I will probably get a 1/2" bimetal blade and leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I have the G0513X2. I also purchased the thicker 3/4" Timberwolf blade. When I tension it per Suffolk's directions (flutter method), it's off the tension scale on the saw. I wouldn't buy that blade again nor would I think of attempting a 1" blade on that saw.
    Are you serious? I have the same blade and I have tensioned it with the same method and it only registers a tad over "2" on the scale.

I would call Grizzly if I were you.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.