Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creativity, Practicality, or Heresy?

How about white oak, instead of red?

I like the idea too, but lets talk about moving it if you need to.

Personally I like it but it doesn't sound very practical.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

WOW, has this taken off... At least no one's called me a heretic yet...

I still haven't given up on the idea of granite, BUT according to the granite fabricator there is no way that the design as shown would provide enough support for the stone.

But he did have some interesting ideas. As we're all woodworkers here, that's where we've been thinking for solutions. He suggested looking at steel as a support. While I don't think that a big steel plate would be very practical (to Bart's point about moving this in the future), Nathan's comment about a torsion box got me thinking of a steel tube ladder frame. So I'll be talking to a welder to get her input.

There's also a local place that does granite counter "overlays." You've probably seen ads for places that will "update the look of your kitchen or bath in a couple days." The pictures of their stuff doesn't look all that great, but I'll be going to their showroom on Saturday to see it in person and run this idea past them.

But I've also been looking at my lumber options (just in case). There's a local sustainable farm that has a lumber mill and takes trees that have come down in storms. I'm hoping to take off early one day this week and go take a look. They claim to have rough cut slabs up to 6" thick x 12" wide, although I'd only be looking at the 2" or 3" stuff.

I don't really want to compromise the design just to get the granite. I want it to look like the top is only supported by the 4 posts of the legs. If I can figure out a way to support the stone with relatively thin steel support structure, that may work. Or the granite overlay, if it doesn't look to artificial. Otherwise, it will probably end up being all wood.

Thanks for all the great input. I'll keep y'all posted on what happens.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

My GUESS is that ... you'll only get serious strength, using steel, if you use either an I-beam or (square) box configuration.

I'll be watching this thread, with interest, either way.

One other thing: you're a big, fat heretic

Just kidding It's a great idea. Hope you can pull it off.

In truth, our builder messed up the first go with our kitchen island, but ... gent that he is ... left the "goof" slab, behind, for us. I'm long sitting on that thing, waiting for the perfect woodworking opportunity that would use it as a topper.

Likely a sideboard, or .....

Good luck !

I'm considering using paperstone for a desktop. I'm waiting for some samples before I decide. I think its quite a bit lighter than granite.

One other choice might be lightweight concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    How about white oak, instead of red?
    I agree with Stephen. Traditional Mission furniture was usually made out of quartersawn white oak. Much prettier than Red.

Heretic! There, I said it. Craftsman furniture is made out of wood and sometimes bits of metal, but not rocks. I like the deisgn, but I vote for sticking with wood. Even if you can solve the technical challenges of using granite, it doesn't mean you should. Save the money on the stone and invest in some nice wide boards for the top.

Looked into granite for a dining room table. Do you have any idea what the top will weigh? It is a big number.

-Brian

Blog Entries
    You will want to be careful with your granite selection. The grain pattern in QS oak may appear too busy with some granites (lots of colors and patterns). A very plain granite may work.

Since you already have this in Sketchup (or other CAD program) you should be able to slap some granite pictures / textures onto the top and see if it's visually appealing.

Brian-
    The granite guys said to figure 16-20 pounds per square foot for 3cm thick material, depending on the type. Since the desk works out to exactly 14 sq ft, I figured a worst case scenario of 300 lbs. That should give you some rough idea for your table.

Greg-
    I have the drawings in Visio, which for me is the quickest (and easiest) product to use. (After having to draw some pretty detailed network diagrams for work, I think I've used about every feature in the product!) But while it can do technical drawings very well, it doesn't do so great with textures and photo-realistic content. I do have sample piece of oak that I've taken with me to the various granite dealers, and it has helped me limit the choices somewhat. One place had a granite they called "Galaxy Black" which is black with some light flakes throughout that really looked nice, but it's in their highest pricing tier. Surprisingly, uba tuba didn't look to bad.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

Why not just put the Granite in the center where you will be writing ect?
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Schaefer View Post
    ...worst case scenario of 300 lbs...

... uba tuba didn't look to bad.
    Thanks for the estimate. That is helpful! 300lbs is not something that is move-able after install. Not good for furniture.

Uba tuba is VERY popular and instantly recognizable by anyone who has upgraded their counter-tops! (like me )

-Brian