Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Engraving Ivory

For belt buckle blanks...there are several people on Etsy selling a few designs. I have a few left over from an old job if you'd like one.
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Czarnetzky View Post
    Good morning all. I am new here and joined because of my gun collection and related work with gun stocks. My specific interest today is finding someone who can do laser scrimshaw on my elephant ivory grips. I have a couple of nice fine line drawings of tasteful nudes I would like to get transferred to 1911 grip panels. Thought perhaps in the time that has elapsed since this thread was started there might be some new developments. I am also interested in laser engraving wood and stabilized wood. Thank you for your advice and assistance. Ed
    I did a couple of mini 1911 grips for a fella on the east coast of the same subject. A line drawing of his wife, but this was just faux ivory and had to colour fill it. But they did turn out nice from the artwork he provided. If your in Canada, and you have 'good' artwork (i.e. not low res web art) send me a PM, if they have to cross the border, 'anything' that relates to a gun or gun parts gives some lefties on the border the dry heaves, and they may vanish enroute or be delayed with lots of questions. If their real ivory, they probably can't cross the border and will be confiscated.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Laser Engraving Ivory

Legal ivory is available on ebay
    Ray Mighells Killbuck NY
    Nice Wood For Laser
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=155

Very nice, Chris .. I'm engraving that same image on faux ivory (vanilla corian) as we speak.

How's the color of the engraved portion compare?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

If that question was for me..
    Corian doesn't generally change color when engraved. You have to pick it up
    and look for a change in texture to know if it has been engraved. So .. color fill.
    I've been using Scribbles paint (I think it's a fabric paint) It is made by Duncan
    and I usually find it at Michael's pretty cheap. Slop it on, let it dry and then wipe
    it off. You can control the color pretty well, though. Rub with a dry terry cloth
    towel and you get pretty much full color. (it deepens with a finish, though) Or
    you can use a damp towel to pull out more color, or you can use DNA to take
    out even more color. Depends on the image. Using the DNA can give you some
    leeway on saturation.. I did a bunch of cheetahs on pen barrels last week that
    looked too dark, but when I rubbed it out with DNA, all of this detail popped out.
    It was in the image, but hidden by too much paint.
    For some images, that's fine. For the cheetah, it wasn't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Oh yeah - I forgot about "vegetable ivory" from the ivory nut tree. It's possibly just big enough for a belt buckle - maybe?
    It is also called Tagua Nut. Woodturning suppliers and carving shops will carry it, among others.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.