Thread: Improved Laser Scanner setup and First Scan

Improved Laser Scanner setup and First Scan

Hi my fellows,
    Came back after long long time.... and their are Stingers in the Forum.. So keep myself away from those stingers(it hurts a lot), i just posting here about my Laser scanner improved hardware..
    As you are well aware, i have some funky old hardware for the David Laser Scanner... I did many scan with good accuracies but the scanning setup was heavy and mobility was an issue... So i did work on following points to improve the setup:
    1- It can easily perform the scanning without calibration panel.
    2- It can be easily disassembled and assembled in new location.
    3-Compact in size for transportation
    4- Aesthetically look beautiful
    5- Electronics have all the control features
    6- The complete setup is light weight.
    7- Accurate and reliable

After, considering all above and lot more i was able to DIY the hardware and made the first test scan.. Attached are the pictures of my improved Hardware..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attached you can see the scan of spray bottle .. Total 9 scans , each scan cycle took 2minutes.. Approximate height of the spray bottle is 250mm and 80mm in diameter...The alignment and stitching was a difficult part due to symmetry in the model.. However, i learn a lot in stitching the scans...

Blog Entries
    As always. BRILLIANT!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Blog Entries
    I wondered where you had disappeared to, Khalid...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks Guy Mathews and Dan Hintz
    Hi Dan,
    I always visit this great forum, but literally i have not touched my CNC for past 6-months due to some business... During these days, i learn a lot about Microprocessor programmings and electronics ...
    I have read the book 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' and now literally i am thinking of doing business beside the Service to my company.... I here advice you to read this book and gift this book to your childs so that they can learn how to make money from money....

So guys i am just thinking of starting of 'carved furniture business'.. The risk is high but i hope soon i will be among some rich peoples in my society...
    Some pictures of the control box inside...

Very nice work! If I ever need fine furniture made that's got a chicken, a shoe, or a water bottle on it, I'll know where to come (only kidding)

Very cool stuff, good luck in your new adventures. I hope you are soon able to help rich people part with their money
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

welcome back you have renewed my inters in the davids!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Very nice work! If I ever need fine furniture made that's got a chicken, a shoe, or a water bottle on it, I'll know where to come (only kidding)
    Thanks Scott...
    Just see the attached table picture.. Do you see the quality and creativity in the legs?.. I have here full blown hand carved furniture that can be laser scanned and can be recreated in any part of the world....

Now if someone here interested in these carved legs, i can scan it... The 3D model of the leg will be of very nominal charges (15 dollar i.e. cost of a laser)... This model can be easily reproduced on your CNC...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Very cool stuff, good luck in your new adventures. I hope you are soon able to help rich people part with their money
    Keep in mind i do not want to get rich by the above bargain price