Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAMaster Stinger II Arrival

CAMaster Stinger II Arrival

Yesterday Joey Jarrard delivered my new Stinger II CNC Router at about 4pm in the afternoon.

I started the day early with a much needed shop cleaning, hauling steel and other "Stuff" out of my workshop that has been accumulating for a long time. Mostly material that was left over from previous jobs like steel, Corian and some wood. Jackie and my daughter Jess pitched in to help with the cleanup tasks and the two of them managed to put together a new gas grill as well. My shop floor is still full of steel I purchased for the top for my new chipbox, pipe to replace the 6 by 6 support posts and a host of other pieces that I intend to make several new implements for my tractor.

The group that assembled here included Ed Lang and his son, Ed's friend Russ and Shawn Cooper. Between the lift gate and my John Deere we were able to get the Stinger lowered to the ground then pick it up and make the short trip over to the shop.

Once in the shop Joey hooked up the computer and did a demonstration answering questions about the machine and the software. There was so much going on that I didn't realize that my photographer (Jackie) had left the event and started cooking burgers and hot dogs so we didn't get as many pictures as I had expected. We did get a fine meal though

First Picture Unloading - From left to right - Joey Jarrard, yours truly on the tractor, Shawn Cooper and Ed Lang.

Second Picture - The Stinger on the ground.

Third Picture - The Stinger, ready to go to work. I purchased two of the black tool boxes from HF last week. They work really well as a place to house computers for the routers, router bits, clamps and all the other goodies necessary to get the job done.

Fourth Picture - Across my workshop the old ShopBot and the new Stinger in the background.

Joey was able to take some pictures, I expect he will upload them after he gets some well deserved rest from a very long trip.

I have to thank Joey Jarrard and the whole CAMaster Crew for building, delivering and demonstrating my new Stinger II. This level of service is very rare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-19-2010 at 6:27 PM.

Smile Congratulations . . . .

Congratulations . . . .

Looks like a really nice machine . . . A Stinger II .

It looks bigger than it did at the show.

Delivery & setup . . . uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum! Now that is impressive . . .

All the way from Georgia to Virginia . . . . Well at least it was a scenic ride.

Should have waited till fall . . . even nicer . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Yesterday Joey Jarrard delivered my new Stinger II CNC Router at about 4pm in the afternoon.

I purchased two of the black tool boxes from HF last week. They work really well as a place to house computers for the routers, router bits, clamps and all the other goodies necessary to get the job done.

I have to thank Joey Jarrard and the whole CAMaster Crew for building, delivering and demonstrating my new Stinger II. This level of service is very rare.
    Keith,

Congratulations on your new machine I like the upgraded router you are using. Also the idea of using HF tool box is great, never have enough storage.

Looking forward to seeing your Braille software update for the Stinger II.

I agree with the service level from CAMaster, it exceeds many other company's.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Awesome! I am sooooo jealous.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The Stinger II looks great Keith. Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions in the PM i sent you. From all my research, it seems to be by far the biggest bang for the buck, and American made to boot.

I think its time for me to give Joey a call. Thanks for sharing.
    MadeByJCB

Keith you weren't kidding that is a nice JD!! I might be a little jealous of that!!!

Love those tool boxes for the coumputer and tooling were did you get that and how much are they??

That stinger two looks even better with the rotary on it!!!

Looking forward to seeing your rotary work!!

Best Nick

nick get to harbor freight, the boxes are on salle at 99$ and are worth it

The CAMaster machines with their welded frames are the hot setup. Imagine a CNC machine that you can lift with a set of slings, set it down and turn it on without having to go through a major operation leveling and adjusting.

The gantry on the Stinger is just as tough, you can push on it all you want and it won't budge or flex. Ya gotta love machines that are built like these. Obviously I felt that the Stinger was an incredible value and I believe it is the best machine in its class. I can't wait to prove it in my shop

Mick, depending on Aaron's time line I hope that he will be able to develop a gadget for Aspire that will make it real easy to machine ADA signs (text, numbers and Braille) on a CAMaster. The goal is to reduce or eliminate having to use a Laser Engraver to make ADA signs, the trick is to do it fast and easy.

Nick, the John Deere 4105 has just over 40 hours on it now and it is a real workhorse. Besides bush hogging my field and working in the woods clearing trees and bushes it is my best friend when I need to do some heavy lifting. The Front End Loader is capable of lifting almost 1400 pounds and will reach high enough to place stuff in my barn loft. It also handles the job of unloading Corian sheets from trucks

The black toolbox was a major bargain on sale for $99.00 at Harbor Freight, rated for over 500 pounds. They normally sell for $200.00 and the quality is pretty good for the money. The metal is much thicker than most of the low cost boxes and the drawer slides are smooth and slide very nice. The size is perfect for a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse. On my ShopBot I use a laptop and I store my vacuum pump in the bottom shelf.

I'm so sore from yesterdays activities that it hurts to think. I hope to be able to take some time to get familiar with the WinCNC software this afternoon and possibly route some simple shapes before I put the Stinger through its paces. I have a two and a half acres of grass to mow before I can spend any time in the shop today
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-19-2010 at 6:23 PM.

That machine loooks sooo sweet! So does the Deere!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Stinger TWO??

Q from a CNC wannabe. I thought the Stinger was a new machine.... what's the 'II' for?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

the two is a bit larger table, larger lathe just larger

jim

Also the stinger is a table top model where as the stinger two has a base like the big routers do!!

Both are very nice!!

I might even think about a stinger two next year for smaller stuff!!

Nick

When I contacted Joey about purchasing a small CNC Router and explained what I had in mind he told me that they would build me a machine that met my specifications. The 36" by 48" table was a must for me because it will support a one third sheet of Corian which is the material I use 95% of the time. I can cut a 12 foot long sheet into three pieces that fit the table perfectly.

I added the 48" long CNC Lathe to the machine because I felt the new feature would add a new dimension to my shop. I have some table legs to make for some custom Corian computer tables in my near future, who knows where I will go from there.

The upgrade to the 3.25 hp PC Router was based on the fact that I already own 3 of these routers. This router motor works well in a CNC machine and in router tables as well. Should I have a problem with a router motor I have others that I can swap out in a matter of minutes and get right back to work.

I elected to upgrade the software to WinCNC because it is standard on the Cobra and has some features that can be useful if I have problems or need remote assistance. I already own Aspire and Joey provided the new post processors for the Stinger via email.

I had originally intended to purchase the Stinger but my wants and needs dictated something just a little larger. After a long discussion with Joey it was determined that a custom Stinger II was the perfect machine for the job at hand. I know for a fact that this machine will pay for itself in a very short period of time so the cost was not a primary issue. What I needed is a reliable work horse.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost has been forgotten". I used to be a Quality Control Inspector for many years so this statement has a special meaning to me

looks great Keith

Looks great Keith, I like the looks of it with the rotary lathe on it. It does look bigger than it did at the show. I am very excited that I will be receiving my 408 Cobra this week!! Yahoooooooooo! It has been a long 3 1/2 months! I am not "jumping up and down" excited, but I am "loosing a lot of sleep thinking of all the possibilities" excited. If I can figure out how to do it, I will post some pictures when it arrives. Paul Jensen

Paul,

Welcome to The Creek and to our CNC owners group. I understand how you feel, the only advice I have for you is that you will most likely be even more satisfied with your machine than you think. These machines are nothing like the traditional woodworking equipment we normally purchase. The "Fun to Run" factor is just icing on the cake.