Thread: Jointer Motor Problem

Jointer Motor Problem

Hi,

I just completed setup of a new Grizzly G0500 8" jointer. I am having a problem with the motor that I can't ID. I turn on the power and the motor starts up, seems to reach full RPM, then it shuts down. It runs for about 2 or 3 seconds. It isn't tripping the CB at my electrical panel. It is a 20 amp circuit, the jointer is 220v/12a. My 220v bandsaw runs fine on that same circuit. After the jointer shuts down, I can select the off switch, re-select the start button and the process repeats. I have checked the plug, the switch, and the connections at the motor and they all "look" correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

Sounds like an open RUN winding. You have checked the first items I would have mentioned.

Next (with power disconnected) if you are sure to do it safely would be to disconnect/isolate the run winding and check for continuity with a ohm meter.

And BTW Ron, welcome to Saw Mill Creek!
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 12-17-2004 at 3:45 AM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Since you say this is a new Grizzly I think I would give them a call about it first.

Welcome
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

All,

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted Grizzly and after some troubleshooting they believe it to be a start capacitor. I would like to check the run winding since I'll be waiting a few days for the new capacitor. Steve, if you have some advice on how to do this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ron Kirkland
    FNG

Sounds like a run capacitor to me too. Seems like the people at Grizzly nailed it.

Here is an update on my problem.

Being impatient I took the motor to be checked in a local shop. The motor works fine. No problems at all.

I brought it home, rechecked all my connections, plugged it in and it ran fine for about 10 seconds then tripped the circuit breaker. My 220v bandsaw continues to work fine on that same circuit.

Highly perplexed...

Ron Kirkland

May be a silly idea but....

You are plugging this thing directly into the socket. You are not using any type of an extension cord or anything like that are you????

I had a similar problem with an air compressor that I was running and then finally it hit me one day. I had too long of an extension cord on it and that is why it was not working properly.

If not extension cord at least the proper gauge wiring is coming from the box. A smaller motor may run (like the router that I was plugging into the same extension cord) where as the larger one will not.
    Matthew Poeller

If it really takes 10 secs to trip off your circuit, then it is not really a large surge current charging a capacitance causing the difficulty. However if there is to much resistance in the line, (to long an extension cord with the gauge wire being to small or your wiring to your box being to small or a combination of both of the above) then you will have a higher current draw which will trip the breaker. You should be at least running minimum 12 gauge wire in your branch circuit, and your extension should be 12 or 10 gauge and should be kept to a minimum length. Also how far is this branch circuit from the main box or if you have one a subpanel? Also see if any of the cord gets warm. If it does then it is a wire gauge problem.