Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Laser Scanning Endeavor

My Laser Scanning Endeavor

Laser Scanning of Carved Wooden Corbel

I have purchased some carved furniture during the latest visit to Chiniot (city of Pakistan). Chiniot peoples are highly skilled wood carver and i was amazed to see the amazing wood carving through out the visit... As i have no laser scanner with me at that time, so i brought some of wooden carved pieces to test my new laser scanner setup..

Due to Dark polish on the corbel, laser scanning was not possible.. so i sprayed removable Die-Developer (usually used for DPT for crack detection)...I didn't show the sprayed white Corbel to my wife, this is just because i don't want my wife to throw away the laser scanning stuff ... i did some quick scanning of the corbel and stitched them together.. Attached are the scan results just out from David Laser scanner.. All scans were carried out with plane-less technique...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 09-21-2010 at 7:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Those final scans appear to have a very high quality level to them... are you hand-tweaking undercuts or just running an extra scan that captures them?

Good job...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

kahlid, the quality is constantly improving!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Those final scans appear to have a very high quality level to them... are you hand-tweaking undercuts or just running an extra scan that captures them?

Good job...
    I have scanned the model in vertical position as well as horizontal and tilt position to cover most of the undercuts.. The quality of the scan is still low.. i have to rescan the model in ultra-High resoultion.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    kahlid, the quality is constantly improving!

jim
    Thanks Jim,
    I'll Show you some more in near future

Did you use your wifes hair dryer??

Very nice!!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    Did you use your wifes hair dryer??

Very nice!!

Nick
    Hi Nick,
    Long story short, I have occupied one room for my hobby stuff..Yesterday when i was in office, She dismantled the CNC controller and started housekeeping of that room.. When i came and saw literally if someone their to watch my head you must have seen some stars in day light.. I flabbergasted and i thought for a while my hobbies are vanished

But the room was well-housekeep and it was clean and shiny... so for now i can't think to use my CNC in that room

Once i used her hair dryer but don't know what was the purpose of that..may be i have written in some posts...

You were going to convert the hair dryer to a handheld 3d scanner

It was a while ago!!

Nick

Wow Nick.. nice memory..
    Thanks for reminding ... sure, you know, We can't use stuffs of our wives

Laser Scanning translucent objects

I have some good experience with shiny and translucent objects... Attached scan is one of the example... The laser spread in the body of these birds but some parametric controls let me scan these... No powder and nothing else applied...

Case Study- Scanning of Metallic Carved Horse

i have a metallic horse with fine carving details... To test and improve my laser scanning setup i put this horse into practice: Following were the goals of this case study:

1- To determine How minute details i can get on such shiny metallic objects
    2- To adjust parameters Hardware as well as software to achieve my goal
    3- To do a Planeless scan and merge

A Fine powder spray was done on the Horse to make it dull but in such a way that the details can be viewed with the webcam... My Laser is mounted on 1:256 Gear box that is driven with stepper motor... I am using DIY SLA7062M based stepper driver that can run the stepper motor in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 microsteps ... To get the fine details at 800 x 600 camera resolution and 150mm calibration scale using green line laser i changed the microstep mode from 1/2 step to 1/16 steps.. Now I have resolution of (200 x 16x 256 =819200 pulses per one complete rotation i.e.0.000439 degrees/step ). This resolution is fine enough to get the Horse details from 3meters distance from the Webcam...However i have kept the horse about 300mm far from the Camera ...Following are 4 multiple scans of the horse:

The results I found were satisfactory as the Webcam Logetech9000 has the limit... To get more fine details I have to do:
    1- To get expensive CCD Monochrome camera
    2- To get fine green line laser that should be focusable

Blog Entries
    Khalid,

There are a number of 1024x768 webcams out there for pretty cheap prices (<$30). Also, consider finding out what wavelength of light the camera you use is most sensitive to. Green is the eye's most sensitive region, but the camera is most likely different. Consider a blue laser, if the camera is sensitive to that wavelength... plenty of junked Blu-Ray players out there (eBay?) that you could steal the laser diode from.

Khalid,

There are a number of 1024x768 webcams out there for pretty cheap prices (<$30). Also, consider finding out what wavelength of light the camera you use is most sensitive to. Green is the eye's most sensitive region, but the camera is most likely different. Consider a blue laser, if the camera is sensitive to that wavelength... plenty of junked Blu-Ray players out there (eBay?) that you could steal the laser diode from.
    Almost all the camera CCD chip formulated on following color division 25% Blue 25% Red and 50% green.. So we use Green laser to get almost double the resoultion comparing to using Red Laser

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Khattak View Post
    Almost all the camera CCD chip formulated on following color division 25% Blue 25% Red and 50% green.. So we use Green laser to get almost double the resoultion comparing to using Red Laser
    The problem is, you're not getting double the resolution as you have no control over the hardware... once the image gets to you over the wire, those double elements have been combined into one pixel.

The problem is, you're not getting double the resolution as you have no control over the hardware... once the image gets to you over the wire, those double elements have been combined into one pixel.
    Hi Dan,
    A lot of literature on the internet about the working of the Chips of Camera... If i scan the same orange with Red Laser, I would not able to see the details on its peel.... Here is the scan with Green laser...