Thread: Buying Lumber around St Louis.

Buying Lumber around St Louis.

Local question around the greater St Louis Area. New to woodworking and was wondering the best place to buy lumber in the area. I have been to St Charles Hardwoods but find them high. They also have filler on both sides of there 3/4 birtch ply and at $45 a 5x5 sheet I need other suggestions.

Thanks for your response.

Baltic birch ply could be tough. Rockler had it on sale a couple weeks ago. Don't recall the price though. They're East of 270 on the Rock Road.

When you need hardwood, google Lumber Logs LLC or send a pm to Tom Sontag who's a member here.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I like Hibdon Hardwoods for exotics. google them to get more info.

Schaller Hardwoods of Poplar Bluff, MO has a St. Louis (South — 55 and Lindbergh area) distribution Center. I got the feeling that they sell mostly wholesale (It’s a warehouse and they have 9-5ish business hours only) but the guy told me he’d sell me a single board if I wanted it. I’ve only dealt with them once (100bf hard maple) and the guy that helped me was nice. I told him I was a weekend WW and that this was the most hardwood I’d ever purchased. He asked me about my project and made sure I got the board widths I needed and helped me pick out some nice boards (one nice 16” wide piece). I didn’t get any sheet goods but he mentioned they had a nice variety if i ever need it. I’ll use them again the next time I need enough wood to justify taking a few hours off work.
    -D

I'm about 2 hours from St. Louis and buy my wood from a local sawmill and the prices are extremely reasonable as long as you don't mind rough cut and only dealing with domestics. I go to the St. Louis area twice a week and wouldn't mind helping a fellow creeker out. PM me and I can get you more info if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rathert View Post
    Schaller Hardwoods of Poplar Bluff, MO has a St. Louis (South — 55 and Lindbergh area) distribution Center. I got the feeling that they sell mostly wholesale (It’s a warehouse and they have 9-5ish business hours only) but the guy told me he’d sell me a single board if I wanted it. I’ve only dealt with them once (100bf hard maple) and the guy that helped me was nice. I told him I was a weekend WW and that this was the most hardwood I’d ever purchased. He asked me about my project and made sure I got the board widths I needed and helped me pick out some nice boards (one nice 16” wide piece). I didn’t get any sheet goods but he mentioned they had a nice variety if i ever need it. I’ll use them again the next time I need enough wood to justify taking a few hours off work.
    -D
    +1 on Schaller Hardwoods of Poplar Bluff. I use them for all of my hard to find sheet goods.Big selection and very knowledgeable people.

Try checking here for Lumber Logs in St. Louis. They are near Kingshighway & I-70

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Owned by a local wood worker that harvests local damaged trees. Great selection and prices. No plywood though. His name is Tom and is there only on Saturday mornings unless you set an appointment.

Hardwood lumber

I've purchased hardwoods from Kohler City Sawmill in Barnhart, MO. Great prices and usually good selection. They are a rural sawmill and the owners are really nice people (the owner recently had a stroke, and his wife is trying to run the place as best she can). Give them a call, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Saul

Since you are referring to ply, the best place is off Greenpark Road in South County. Like the others have said, they are mostly wholesale, but will sell retail. I've bought my cherry from them in the past (ply).

Now I've got to ask...what is it about the MDF that you don't like? On my projects, that layer of MDF makes the panel really smooth and nice. I favor it verses all veneer in most of my work.

Now if you are talking lumber, I'm sure the Moberly man and I can get you into some cool local sawmills where the prices are good. Problem is, you'd waste the savings on gasoline getting out here.

Not against MDF. Actually this is my first time making Cabinets. First Im puting them in the garage. Then some in the basement. My third project will be replacing the kitchen cabs. Which MDF do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve LaFara View Post
    Try checking here for Lumber Logs in St. Louis. They are near Kingshighway & I-70

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Owned by a local wood worker that harvests local damaged trees. Great selection and prices. No plywood though. His name is Tom and is there only on Saturday mornings unless you set an appointment.
    Thank you Gary and Steve for the referral. As Steve said, no plywood, no router bits, nothing but domestic hardwoods. But it is fair to say we beat anyone else around in that category. Click the link for our location and hours, which total only four retail hours per month. Likewise, Hibdon is probably best for a narrow band of exotics. As for plywood, I wouldn't really know.